Come join the top industrial research group for datacenter and wide area networking research. The mission of the Mobility & Networking Research (MNR) Group at Microsoft Research is to invent and research technologies that make Microsoft's networks, services, and devices indispensable to the world. The MNR group focuses on basic and applied research in all areas related to networked systems and mobile computing. We build proof-of-concept systems, engage with academia, publish scientific papers, publish software for the research community, and transfer cutting-edge technologies to Microsoft's product groups. The MNR group has dominated top academic conferences including ACM SIGCOMM and USENIX NSDI, and has had massive impact on the Azure Network by productizing research technologies including Software Defined Networking, Hardware-accelerated Datapath, and Network Verification.
The MNR group is seeking Research Software Development Engineer candidates with stellar empirical R&D skills and technical backgrounds in computer networking. The ideal candidates will have experience in large-scale networks in addition to being fluent in the state-of-the-art research in networking. The ideal candidates should have strong ability to work with researchers at Microsoft to push forward research agendas, be a team player in a collaborative and supportive environment with outstanding programming skills. The work will require excelling in fast-paced execution and implementation on the Azure network. Applicants should demonstrate depth of knowledge in networking and operating systems, and demonstrate experience in big data processing, experimentation and modeling.
* A Bachelors degree and a Masters degree in Computer Science or Electrical Engineering are required.
* A Ph.D. degree in Computer Science or Electrical Engineering, specializing in networking, is preferred.
* Experience on research projects and/or co-author on papers in top peer-reviewed journals or conferences or workshops in computer networking is preferred.
* Any one of the following experiences would be preferable:
* Congestion control algorithm design
* RDMA networks and RDMA-based system design
* Wide area network operations
* Traffic engineering and software-defined networking
* Management and programming of network switches
* 3 or more years of experience programming in computer languages such as C#,
* C++, Java, Python, Perl.
* Experience with analysis tools such as R, Python, Cosmos, Scope, Hadoop, Kusto.
* Excellent critical thinking and communication skills (written and oral)
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.
* Develop networking solutions that extend the state of the art in production cloud-scale systems.
* Implement and evaluate novel solutions for improving network protocols and network traffic management on intra-datacenter networks, cross-datacenter networks, and inter-domain peering.
* Analyze and improve the performance of network congestion control algorithms and hardware-assisted distributed systems.
* Analyze and improve the performance of network traffic engineering algorithms on large-scale datasets.
* Implement prototypes of centralized traffic managers that can scale to large cloud networks.
* Implement and evaluate prototypes using simulations, small-scale testbeds and large-scale production environments.
* Collaborate closely with team members on developing systems from prototyping to production level. Work closely with Azure engineering teams to drive scalable implementations.
Microsoft is a technology company that develops and supports software, services, and devices.