If you enjoy developing technology to solve important and technically challenging problems in data management, this is the job for you. Being part of the Data Management, Exploration and Mining (DMX) group at Microsoft Research (http://research.microsoft.com/dmx) gives you to the unique ability to work on new and open problems and help influence the next generation of products and services in the industry. Over the years the DMX group has helped introduce significant novel technologies into Microsoft's data platforms such as: Database Engine Tuning Advisor, novel resource governance technologies in SQL Server and Azure SQL DB, Fuzzy Lookup, Fuzzy Grouping and Data Profiling functionality for data cleaning in SQL Server Integration Services, data model mappings and translations for ADO.NET. The team also has made significant contributions to Bing including web table search and for search quality in Bing Maps.
* 2+ years of programming experience in C++ and/or C#, Java.
* Good communications skills.
* Ability to work in a team and passion for technology are essential.
Knowledge and experience of one or more of the following will be useful:
* database systems, large scale data analytic platforms such as SQL/relational databases and MapReduce engines, distributed systems, performance tuning.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.
This research software developer position requires strong analytical and programming skills. You will work in a start-up like environment with the team of researchers and developers in the broad areas of databases and data analytic systems.
* Design, develop and evaluate technologies related to data platforms
* Work closely with other researchers and developers - within Microsoft Research as well as other groups within the company
* Ship technology in Microsoft's products and services
* Track industry advances and trends in related areas
Microsoft is a technology company that develops and supports software, services, and devices.