It takes powerful technology to connect our brands and partners with an audience of 1 billion. Nearly half of Verizon Media employees are building the code and platforms that help us achieve that. Whether you're looking to write mobile app code, engineer the servers behind our massive ad tech stacks, or develop algorithms to help us process 4 trillion data points a day, what you do here will have a huge impact on our business-and the world. Want in? Verizon Digital Media Services brings together world-class technology to prepare, deliver and display content - so users can watch and enjoy on their terms. The purpose of our platform is simple. It delivers next-generation digital experiences for today's demanding users, whether it be their favorite TV shows, catching up with friends via social media or shopping for the latest gadgets. Built on top of one of the world's largest networks, our platform easily handles your users' appetite for instant, secure and always-on media, anytime, anywhere.
The Research team at Verizon Digital Media Services is an interdisciplinary group of research scientists and engineers that work on the Edgecast Content Delivery Network (CDN) to make it the fastest, most reliable and secure content delivery platform in the world. The team works on Internet-scale technologies that influence how our services cache and deliver content, and shape and route traffic. Beyond content delivery and traffic management, the team also works on enhancing our security portfolio, in particular, products like Web Application Firewall, HTTP Rate-Limiting, Bot Mitigation product lines, and TLS/Crypto infrastructure products.
* Build systems and design experiments to measure the performance and reliability of the CDN.
* Collaborate with core engineering teams to build a holistic understanding of technical challenges and opportunities of running a 24x7 globally distributed CDN.
* Explore ideas and develop new algorithms and systems to make Edgecast the fastest, most reliable and secure content delivery platform in the world today and into the future.
* Represent VDMS in industry working groups and academic conferences.
* Build software applications in the CDN, especially around our Security product offerings.
* PhD in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Statistics or related disciplines.
* Excellent oral and written communication skills. Ability to distill complex and abstract concepts into simple constructs.
* Demonstrable success as an individual researcher and as a member of a research group. Capable of leading projects from inception to delivery.
* Deep understanding of theory and practice of at least one of the following domains: Networking (TCP/IP, HTTP/2, QUIC, DNS, BGP), Systems (Linux Kernel, Caching Algorithms, HPC), or Data Science (Analytics, Expert Systems, Machine Learning).
* Hands-on programming in Python, R, Go, C, C++ in GNU/Linux.
* Knowledge of at least one of the following web services technologies: Web Servers, DNS, load balancing, firewalls.
Verizon Media is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to, and will not be discriminated against based on age, race, gender, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, disability or any other protected category. Verizon Media is dedicated to providing an accessible environment for all candidates during the application process and for employees during their employment. If you need accessibility assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability, please email ApplicantAccommodation@verizonmedia.com or call 408-336-1409. Emails/calls received for non-disability related issues, such as following up on an application, will not receive a response.
Currently work for Verizon Media? Please apply on our internal career site.
About Verizon Media
Verizon Media (formerly Oath) is a company operating media, technology, and communication brands.