Microsoft has made an enormous bet on delivering a modern data platform across both on-premises and Cloud. It powers innovation in every industry, facilitates breakthrough scientific and medical research, and underpins intelligent applications that are changing the way we live. Enterprise customers are using these platforms to disrupt markets and transform their existing businesses. Today Microsoft is considered a leader when it comes to the innovation in the data platform capabilities. We enabled it by delivering breakthrough product innovations and experiences. SQL Server on Linux, use of Kubernetes for deployment, our investment in distributed query processing and hybrid are few examples of such innovations that came in the last few years. Equally important in this journey has been the evolution of our engineering and release systems that allows our product development teams to be nimble.
Here's a little introduction to our team:
* We spend our days collaborating with, teaching, and learning from a diverse set of world class engineers.
* We develop, test, and check code in every day.
* We are obsessed with customers and make data-driven decisions using telemetry collected from customers and production systems.
* We take time to build the engineering systems that allow us to focus on new problems and reduce overhead
* Bachelor's degree in computer science (or equivalent)
* 2-3 years of hands on software development or program management
* Preferred enterprise software development experience within both Windows and Linux environments.
* Experience shipping production class software preferably with some release manager experience.
* Strong written and verbal communication skills. There is no instruction manual on how to be a great Release Manager. You use your instincts, experiences, and team to identify, assess, and solve problems quickly and frequently.
* Exceptional project management and organization skills. Attention to detail is everything.
* Customer success obsession is a requirement. You take pride in your work directly impacting the success of our customers.
Ability to meet Microsoft, customer and/or government security screening requirements are required for this role. These requirements include, but are not limited to the following specialized security screenings: Microsoft Cloud Background Check: This position will be required to pass the Microsoft Cloud background check upon hire/transfer and every two years thereafter.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.
The specific role we are looking to hire for is a Program Manager who will be part of a team that own release management and release systems and tools for all currently supported SQL Server versions and Data Platform products. We are constantly innovating and on an average deliver 2-4 releases to SQL Server customers every month across Windows and Linux. The following provides some additional details on the role:
* Define and drive full release schedules designed to meet dynamic business goals.
* Clearly communicate issues - impact, and possible mitigations, as they arise.
* Identify risks in advance and drive the team towards successful resolution before the risks turn into incidents affecting production customers.
* Ensure the product teams are complying with all release requirements - compliance, security, legal, marketing.
* Create, document, automate, execute, and improve the processes of to deliver releases. Verifying release content, requirements, validations, certifications, and final packaging are complete prior to target release date.
* Continually provide clear and regular status on the state of releases, risks, and mitigations.
* Drive automation of all release processes to achieve complete and robust end to end automation of all releases.
Microsoft is a technology company that develops and supports software, services, and devices.