At Red Hat, we connect an innovative community of customers, partners, and contributors to deliver an open source stack of trusted, high-performing solutions. We offer cloud, Linux, middleware, storage, and virtualization technologies, together with award-winning global customer support, consulting, and implementation services. Red Hat is a rapidly growing company supporting more than 90% of Fortune 500 companies.
The Red Hat Release Engineering team is looking for a Release Engineer to join us in Westford, MA. In this role, you will streamline tooling, improve releases of our offerings, and guide team processes. You'll focus on standardizing processes and creating solutions for product teams by delivering changes in a timely and methodical manner. As a Software Engineer, you'll need to have a passion for technology and development, balanced with the responsibility for improving the processes and procedures that support releases of our offerings. You'll need to be able to work in a fast-paced and sometimes chaotic environment, with the goal of making our end users and customers more effective with each release.
Primary job responsibilities
* Guide new processes and procedures in the solutions space to improve the quality, consistency, and automation of releases
* Contribute to release engineering tooling to deliver the functionality according to established requirements
* Help your team understand and prioritize requirements
* Support multiple offerings and releases by helping ensure that content is delivered on time and to specifications
* Interact with multiple teams within Red Hat and the open source community
* Communicate with engineering and management teams across the globe
* Work in a fast-paced environment where timely deliverables are as important as the big ideas for potential growth
* Communicate with end users through IRC, forums, and email
* Bachelor's degree in computer science or equivalent experience
* Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English
* Excellent interpersonal skills; ability to directly interact with other teams
* Ability to provide constructive feedback and understand criticism that directly impacts our business goals
* Ability to help define, follow, and enforce processes
* Ability to work under pressure, for example fixing issues during a release of an offering
* Experience with Linux or Unix operating systems; knowledge of the Unix shell Bash and experience with command line text processing like grep, awk, sed, etc.
* General knowledge of Python
The following are considered a plus:
* Experience building and designing object-oriented frameworks that can abstract services in a simple manner to enable other developers to rapidly prototype and build their own services and software
* Previous experience with build and packaging managers and formats like rpm, jar, etc.
* Previous experience releasing multiple offerings in a production environment
* Technical background in tools like JIRA, Bugzilla, Koji, Pulp, Maven, and Docker
* Ability to debug issues across multiple software layers
* Experience with code-reviews
* Previous experience with continuous integratoin (CI)
* Previous experience with minimum viable product (MVP)
Red Hat is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and an affirmative action employer. We review applications for employment without regard to their race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, veteran status, genetic information, physical or mental disability, medical condition, marital status, or any other basis prohibited by law.
Red Hat does not seek or accept unsolicited resumes or CVs from recruitment agencies. We are not responsible for, and will not pay, any fees, commissions, or any other payment related to unsolicited resumes or CVs except as required in a written contract between Red Hat and the recruitment agency or party requesting payment of a fee.