The New York Times seeks a Project Manager to join our Storytelling Group managing the SEO & Social team. This is an important and exciting moment to work at The Times. Our journalism has never been stronger, more relevant or more in demand. Our products are used by millions of passionate and engaged users every day and our strategy of providing journalism worth paying for has helped us rapidly grow our digital subscription and advertising businesses at the same time. Yet we see room for growth and innovation in every direction - particularly in advancing the way people engage with high-quality news, and in building a much larger digital subscription business.
The Storytelling Group team is responsible for creating the best digital News and Opinion products in the world that reach over 100 million monthly users and have over 3 million paying subscribers. We deliver award-winning and high impact journalism to readers in over 195 countries around the world on multiple platforms.
The group is highly collaborative and interdisciplinary, working closely across product, design, engineering and project management; partnering closely with the Newsroom and other cross functional teams across the company.
We are looking for a Project Manager to join this group and work on a variety of initiatives that advance our mission and enhance our engagement capabilities.
Who you are:
* You work well in a dynamic, iterative and collaborative environment
* You have a talent for uniting and motivating teams
* You enjoy the challenge of mediating between different interests and personalities
* You are an influencer who knows how to create and rally alignment and build consensus
* You have a passion for The New York Times's mission and are dedicated to being a part of our innovation and growth
Ideally, you have:
* Enthusiasm for identifying ways agile and traditional methodologies can work for technical and non-technical teams, and interest in expanding those approaches to business processes, cross-functional projects and strategic initiatives
* Superb organizational abilities
* Ability to take ownership of complicated efforts and mediate between competing interests and personalities to get alignment and motivate change
* Outstanding communication skills, including the ability to communicate between technical and non-technical contributors, and between project teams and senior leadership
* Enable a cross-functional team of engineers, product managers, designers, data analysts and newsroom partners to deliver on high-impact, high-visibility projects that align with the company's mission and goals
* Manage a portfolio of projects across platforms, including iOS, Android, web, email and push messaging
* Own the processes that facilitate effective development, communication and collaboration, including stand-ups, sprint planning, retrospectives and Jira hygiene
* Proactively identify dependencies, anticipate risks and remove roadblocks
* Partner with product, design and engineering to deliver achievable goals and roadmaps
* Manage team capacity and velocity and drive improvements to help us move faster
* Work with Product, Design and Engineering to maintain a healthy, happy team culture
* 5+ years relevant work experience in project management.
* Experience with software development projects; an ability to learn technical concepts quickly and communicate those concepts to others
* Certified Scrum Master (CSM) and knowledge of Jira, Confluence, Rally, Version One, or other equivalent project management software tools
* Passion for The New York Times's mission and commitment to be part of our innovation and growth
Benefits and Perks:
* Support our original, independent and reported journalism.
* We provide great health, dental, vision and life insurance for employees and their families
* We support responsible retirement planning with a generous 401(k) company match.
* We offer a great parental leave.
* We are committed to career development and ongoing learning supported by a formal mentoring program as well as $8,000 annually for tuition reimbursement.
* We have frequent panel discussions and talks by newsmakers and industry leaders.
* Join a community committed to the richness of diversity, experiences and talents in the world we cover, supported by a variety of employee resource groups.
The New York Times is committed to a diverse and inclusive workforce, one that reflects the varied global community we serve. Our journalism and the products we build in the service of that journalism greatly benefit from a range of perspectives, which can only come from diversity of all types, across our ranks, at all levels of the organization. Achieving true diversity and inclusion is the right thing to do. It is also the smart thing for our business. So we strongly encourage women, veterans, people with disabilities, people of color and gender nonconforming candidates to apply.
The New York Times Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of an individual's sex, age, race, color, creed, national origin, alienage, religion, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation or affectional preference, gender identity and expression, disability, genetic trait or predisposition, carrier status, citizenship, veteran or military status and other personal characteristics protected by law. All applications will receive consideration for employment without regard to legally protected characteristics.