Project Manager - IT
Req #: WHQ00015992-RT
Location: Chicago, IL US
Job Category:Information Technology
We have a wide variety of career opportunities around the world - come find yours.
The United IT team designs, develops and maintains massively scaling technology solutions that are brought to life with innovative architectures, data analytics and digital solutions.
Job overview and responsibilities
The role of the Project Manager is to plan, execute, and finalize projects of low to medium size and complexity, or components of large projects, according to strict deadlines, and a defined budget. This includes acquiring resources and coordinating the efforts of team members and third-party contractors or consultants in order to deliver projects according to plan. The Project Manager will also define the project's objectives with management direction, and oversee quality control throughout its life cycle, using proven communication, analytical and problem-solving skills in order to maximize the benefit of IT and Business investments.
The Project Manager has some project experience and performs his/her responsibilities while receiving direction and supervision from his/her manager.
* Responsible for coordination of specific components of a project or a single project of low to medium complexity, priority, and risk.
* With department management, clearly defines the project scope and objectives.
* Oversee the development of the detailed business requirements for assigned component or project to ensure they address the business unit's objectives.
* Develop a detailed estimate of the level of effort required. Create a project plan for the deliverable objective.
* Track, manage, and adjust the original plan as necessary to ensure success.
* Escalate problems as necessary to ensure awareness and seek assistance with resolution.
* Communicate the requirements, design, estimates to the senior project manager or project sponsor.
* Ensure adherence to established IT project methodologies (IDF).
* Provide regular status reports to others involved in the project.
* Meet the project requirements by delivering a quality solution, on time, and within the planned budget.
* May perform other duties as assigned by senior project managers or management.
* Associates or Bachelor's Degree or equivalent.
* Demonstrates intermediate knowledge and skills related to project management.
* Demonstrates basic knowledge of managing projects using an SDLC or IDF and creating lifecycle deliverables including detailed project, risk, and issue plans to ensure project goals are accomplished.
* Demonstrated use of Microsoft Project, Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Word, Visio, and PPM.
* Strong written and oral communication skills.
* Strong interpersonal skills.
* Team Player.
* 2 or more years of experience in an IT or business environment.
* 1 or more years direct work experience in a project management capacity, including all aspects of process development and execution.
* Successful management of a small size project, or delivery of a specific component of a large project with a Team of 2-5 (direct or matrix) and/or a budget of <$1MM.
* Must be legally authorized to work in the United States for any employer without sponsorship
* Successful completion of interview required to meet job qualification
* Reliable, punctual attendance is an essential function of the position
* Certification in project management (PMP).
* Flexible during times of change.
* Ability to read communication styles of team members and contractors who come from a broad spectrum of disciplines.
* Tenacious, persuasive, encouraging, and motivating.
* Can conform to shifting priorities, demands and timelines through analytical and problem-solving capabilities.
* Ability to defuse tension among project team, should it arise.
* Ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment.
* Ability to elicit cooperation from a wide variety of sources, including upper management, clients, and other departments.
* Ability to bring project to successful completion through political sensitivity.
* Adept at conducting research into project-related issues and products.
* Previous airline or travel industry experience a plus.
* Experienced at working both independently and in a team-oriented collaborative environment is essential.
Equal Opportunity Employer - Minorities/Women/Veterans/Disabled/LGBT
About United Airlines
United Airlines is an airline operating a domestic and international route network.