Sutter Pacific Medical Foundation is a not for profit corporation that exists to provide medical services, research and education. The foundation provides the infrastructure for the delivery of physician services, and contracts with a separate corporation comprised of physicians and other care providers to deliver the clinical services. This multi-specialty foundation will provide a platform from which new physicians can be recruited to continue to provide physician services in a nonprofit, community setting. The Foundation's vision is to create a medical group that will deliver high quality, market competitive medical services.
The main focus of the position is the implementation of strategic priority projects designed and deployed at the Sutter Bay Medical Foundation (SBMF) level in support of the President & CEO, Bay Foundations, and the Bay Foundation Service Line Executives, to achieve the highest levels of quality, access, and affordability. Projects are complex, highly-visible, Bay Foundation-wide, may be political in nature, and involve multiple key stakeholders. Using established project management tools and processes, efforts result in successful implementation of projects to produce improved organizational performance. Role manages approved projects that are complex in nature from conception through completion to include scope, time, and cost. Provides leadership, coaching/consulting, and facilitation skills to project team.
Responsible for the management of multiple medium sized projects and/or 1-3 large size projects that are highly complex. These types of projects cross multiple service lines and/or regions, have multiple facets of work teams that provide the output of deliverables, and/or multiple complex milestones or critical paths which can result in different outcomes of the work at hand and therefore take more resources and expertise to manage and see through to completion. Responsible for overall coordination, status reporting and stability of project oriented work efforts. Establishes and implements project management processes and methodologies to ensure projects are delivered on time, within budget, adhere to high quality standards and meet customer expectations. Responsible for assembling project plans and teamwork assignments, directing and monitoring work efforts on a daily basis, identifying resource needs, performing quality review; and escalating functional, quality, and timeline issues appropriately. Responsible for tracking key project milestones and adjusting project plans and/or resources to meet the needs of customers. Coordinates communication with all areas of the enterprise that impacts the scope, budget, risk and resources of the work effort being managed.
Must possess extensive knowledge and expertise in the use of project management methodologies and tools, resource management practices and change management techniques. Works under general direction of Bay Area Foundation Service Line Executives or other project leaders, reporting directly to Executive Consultant to the CEO, Bay Area Foundation.
* Works with Bay Foundation leadership and project stakeholders in defining the scope of work, objectives, deliverables and timeframes of implementation projects.
* Addresses strategic and operational issues that span multiple topics and functional areas.
* Provides direct project management, under the guidance of Manager or Project Sponsor, for one to three assigned large-scale, complex projects simultaneously. Projects are focused on Foundation-wide strategic priorities, with emphasis on accelerating service line strategic work and implementing Sutter system initiatives.
* Directs, supervises and coordinates the utilization of effective and appropriate project management and change management process, practices and tools in the development and implementation of projects.
* Identifies and analyzes trends, and recommends solutions.
* Accountable for measuring and monitoring project resource capacity.
* Monitors and reports actual implementation progress against plan. Monitors, reports, and coordinates with others to identify and remove barriers, with timely escalation to Manager or Project Sponsor.
* Implements and supports visual management system for all projects.
Strategic Partner / Project Lead
* Partners with Foundation Service Line Executives and other key stakeholders to develop and deploy projects within SBMF. Acts as coach or mentor to project sponsor and project team.
* Leads development of the project charter, A3-thinking, project plan, and other necessary project management tools.
* Identifies required resources across services lines as well as across geographical areas and medical groups.
* Ensures organizational alignment / linkages / execution across SBMF and up to Sutter system per agreed upon expectations.
* Drives teams to ensure concepts are well-designed and supported by rigorous analysis, thoughtful recommendations, and credible execution parameters that align with SBMF and Sutter system strategic priorities.
* Communicates information effectively to other team members. Disseminates information related to project timeline and deliverables.
* Builds collaborative relationships with local, regional, and system leaders, physician leaders and other project resources, including consultants, Strategic Implementation team, OU Service Line resources, Innovation Center, and other resources to ensure credible execution and alignment.
* Participates, leads, or ensures successful handoff/strategy deployment process and/or liaise w/ System Strategy Implementation resources as needed.
* In collaboration with project sponsor, seeks and incorporates input from content experts, physicians, regional leaders, and system resources to be sure relevant stakeholder perspectives are included in project planning and implementation.
* May serve as a driver of and liaison to internal and external project stakeholders and related groups.
* Accepts other assignments for specialty projects as requested and deemed appropriate by the assigned Manager.
Facilitation and Communication
* Supports senior leadership and service line executives in a staff role, including designing and facilitating project-related committees and developing materials to communicate the project on the behalf of leaders
* Translates complex content or process details into simple formats understood by lay audiences. Adapts his/her style, presentation of materials, and communications to the needs of project stakeholders.
* Effectively facilitates group meetings to drive decisions and/or alignment among diverse groups.
* Manages assigned project work groups or other leadership forums as needed. Ensures consistency in focus of these bodies so matrix alignment is achieved.
* Collaborates with project management peers to ensure standardized use of effective project management processes, approach, and tools and to share best practices and shared learnings.
May, depending upon project size and in the absence of additional administrative or other support:
* Ensure workspace is available and that all team members are given appropriate levels of access.
* File documents in the appropriate spot.
* Post project deliverables and templates.
* Schedule meetings, including arrangement for required space, materials and supplies.
* Prepare agendas, takes and distributed minutes or associated action/decision items.
* Capture and follow-up on assignments
Bachelor's degree in Business Administration, Health Administration, Public Health or related field OR equivalent education/experience required.
Master's degree in Business Administration, Health Administration, Public Health or related field OR equivalent education/experience preferred.
* 3-5 years relevant healthcare experience working with all levels of healthcare professionals including physicians, staff, and Executives
* Thorough knowledge of health care delivery, current trends and strategies in healthcare
* Demonstrated track record of prior project management lead role(s)
* Knowledge of principles of Lean management systems and strategy deployment is desired.
Skills & Knowledge:
* Conceptual, analytical and negotiation skills are necessary, along with strong skills in solving complex problems and developing actionable recommendations.
* Demonstrated leadership skills in order to manage large complex projects (ie. number of resources, functional areas, time requirements, and the organizational experience of the subject).
* Demonstrated ability in leading / facilitating teams required.
* Must demonstrate a strong customer service focus in all decisions and actions.
* Must demonstrate strong interpersonal skills and an ability to cultivate a network within Sutter Health to gain support from key stakeholders and gain trust and respect from senior leaders.
* High level of operational thinking and expertise with the ability to quickly analyze and understand healthcare operations desired.
* Must be detail oriented, self-directed and able to work autonomously.
* Communicate complex concepts and ideas effectively to all levels within the organization.
* Develop, create and deliver presentations to all levels within the Bay Area Foundation.
* Demonstrated ability to continuously learn and improve understanding of project methodology and tools.
* Proficiency in spreadsheet, word processing, project management and presentation applications required, preferably the Microsoft suite.
* Ability to gain cooperation and support through effective use of influence and persuasion desired.
* Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including a high level of tact, diplomacy, and adaptability.
* Exceptional organizational skills with ability to handle multiple projects, multiple (and sometimes conflicting) priorities and adapt to a rapidly changing environment involving multiple stakeholders at various levels.
* Collaborative working style and ability to develop/sustain productive work relationships with key stakeholders and other project resources across all areas and levels of the organization.