The New York Times is respected for its visionary, high-quality journalism, its reach and its influence. Now, in the digital age, we are transforming the nation's "newspaper of record" into a subscriber-first, user-centered media company. Our ambition is to redefine our customer experience to aspire to the same level of excellence as our journalism. Join The New York Times as a Project Manager on our Growth team, leading strategic projects and supporting day-to-day operations of our digital teams.
The teams working on Growth unlock the full revenue potential of our subscription business by building experiences and developing capabilities that grow and engage qualified audiences, convert engaged readers into new subscribers, and identify and experiment with new growth levers. Subscribers are our most engaged and valuable users, and a key focus of the company's strategy for growth. We need to continue to develop and deepen the customer relationship.
As a core member of your project teams, you are expected to identify opportunities, suggest solutions, and act decisively when necessary to advance a project. We're looking for an action-oriented, hands-on project manager who can manage multiple teams and projects. There's no "one-size-fits-all" here; each team can require different levels of involvement and intensity of agile processes.
Who you are:
* You work well in a dynamic, iterative and collaborative environment
* You have a talent for uniting and motivating teams
* You enjoy the challenge of mediating between different interests and personalities
* You are an influencer who knows how to create and rally alignment and build consensus
* You have a passion for The New York Times's mission and are dedicated to being a part of our innovation and growth
What you'll do:
* Work closely with teams to drive definition and execution of features and products.
* Monitor risks to anticipate issues and actively seek out, track, and remove barriers to completing a project.
* Champion and support Agile software development practices, and tailor that process (including scrums, planning, review and retrospective sessions, demos and more) to each project team.
* Ensure that project schedules and project scope are well defined. Track progress and report status on a regular basis to the project team, partners and leadership. Maintain project momentum by making sure schedules, resources, and communication are in sync.
* Become a trusted partner with cross-disciplinary teams and ensure that product goals are clearly defined and are being met.
* Demonstrate flexibility in problem solving and in handling uncertainty, adapting and changing tasks according to project needs.
* Experience as a project manager on a digital consumer product as part of an integrated team with product, design and engineering. Native app (iOS and Android) experience a plus.
* Experience applying concepts and techniques from multiple agile approaches
* Ability to own complex efforts and manage risks
* Excellent organizational skills
* Superb communication skills, including the ability to communicate between technical and non-technical contributors, and between project teams and senior leadership.
* Certified Scrum Master (CSM) and knowledge of Jira, Confluence, Rally, Version One, MS Project, Excel or other project management software tools
Benefits and Perks:
* Make an impact by supporting our original, independent and deeply reported journalism.
* We provide competitive health, dental, vision and life insurance for employees and their families
* We support responsible retirement planning with a generous 401(k) company match.
* We offer a competitive parental leave.
* We are committed to career development and ongoing learning supported by a formal mentoring program as well as $8,000 annually for tuition reimbursement.
* We have frequent panel discussions and talks by a wide variety of newsmakers and industry leaders.
* Join a community committed to the richness of diversity, experiences and talents in the world we cover, supported by a variety of employee resource groups.
The New York Times is committed to a diverse and inclusive workforce, one that reflects the varied global community we serve. Our journalism and the products we build in the service of that journalism greatly benefit from a range of perspectives, which can only come from diversity of all types, across our ranks, at all levels of the organization. Achieving true diversity and inclusion is the right thing to do. It is also the smart thing for our business. So we strongly encourage women, veterans, people with disabilities, people of color and gender nonconforming candidates to apply.
The New York Times Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of an individual's sex, age, race, color, creed, national origin, alienage, religion, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation or affectional preference, gender identity and expression, disability, genetic trait or predisposition, carrier status, citizenship, veteran or military status and other personal characteristics protected by law. All applications will receive consideration for employment without regard to legally protected characteristics.