Are you passionate about creating amazing devices that empower people to achieve more? The Surface team focuses on building devices that fully express the Windows vision, and the Surface Wireless Team focuses on the wireless features that transform that vision into reality. Creating these devices requires close coordination between a wide variety of internal Microsoft teams and strategic technology partners. Program Managers drive that coordination and play a crucial role in the overall product realization process.
As a Hardware Program Manager on the Surface Wireless Team, you will lead complex and multidisciplinary hardware development efforts to enable premium wireless connectivity and location features in the Surface device portfolio. You will coordinate with the product planning team, device program managers and your wireless Software Program Manager counterpart to define the wireless subsystem requirements rapidly and efficiently. You will work diligently to construct, maintain, and adapt program plans and schedules; coordinate and drive the engineering, verification, certification, compliance, sourcing, and manufacturing teams; and continuously adapt our processes to improve overall team execution. You will succeed in this role by leading without authority; communicating clearly and effectively; effectively building consensus among key team members; leveraging your excellent cross-functional management skills; driving coordination with external partners; adapting in a dynamic and demanding environment; identifying gaps and working with functional managers and leads to fill those gaps; removing obstacles that are blocking or slowing progress; managing and communicating risks; and efficiently reporting status to relevant teams and leaders. Your expertise from successfully shipping cellular enabled devices will be particularly useful in this role as we expand our cellular connected Surface device offerings and transition to a 5G cellular enabled world.
* 4+ years of technical program management experience
* 2+ years of direct experience shipping multiple cellular enabled devices with recent certification experience
* Excellent written and verbal communication skills
* Proficient in deploying and adapting lean processes in a dynamic organization
* Basic understanding of mobile operator and industry (such as GCF, PTCRB, WFA and BTSig) certifications
* Moderate technical understanding of modern wireless communication systems and device side architectures
* Basic understanding of secure silicon enabled designs, including manufacturing and in-market support implications
* Basic understanding 3GPP/3GPP2 air interface protocols such as NR, LTE-A, HSPA, WCDMA, GSM, EV-DO, and 1xRTT
* Basic understanding of 802.11 air interfaces, Bluetooth, GNSS, NFC and hybrid wireless location technologies
* Adept at driving highly capable and diverse design engineers without interfering
* Adaptable where necessary for specific programs, but also able to drive commonality for multiple program efficiencies
* BS or MS in Electrical Engineering with an EM or wireless communication systems emphasis
* Professionally trained in world-class high volume manufacturing processes
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.
* Align with the device program team on overarching business goals and high-level requirements
* Define wireless non-functional requirements to ensure device within the business constraints
* Coordinate with program and software teams to ensure bottom-up schedules merge with the program top-down schedules
* Align with the certifications team to ensure accurate requirements for launch window carrier and industry requirements
* Align with the compliance team to ensure accurate regulatory requirements and markings for all launch and release regions
* Partner with internal managers, leads, and key individuals to create, maintain and adapt program execution plans and schedules
* Align with the validation and certification teams to ensure concise schedule execution and proactively mitigate risks
* Ensure cross-functional and cross-organizational alignment throughout all phases of the program
* Adapt where necessary for specific programs, but maximize commonality for multiple program efficiencies
* Ensure proper critical design reviews by relevant teams (DFx, etc.) and members strategic partners as needed
* Facilitate coordination with the manufacturing test team and the NPI team to ensure proper device specific test fixture delivery
* Coordinate with the sourcing team to confirm viable key, long lead time, and second source component strategy
* Identify hidden costs and adapt execution strategies to eliminate from future programs
* Continuously manage, mitigate, and communicate risks, and proactively inform senior leadership as necessary
* Proactively support the NPI team to ensure efficient production and yield ramps
* Organize and present program status to the business, engineering, and senior leadership teams
* Coordinate transition to the PE and sustaining engineering team
Microsoft is a technology company that develops and supports software, services, and devices.