Skillz is driving the future of entertainment by accelerating the convergence of sports, video games and media for an exploding mobile-first audience worldwide. The company's platform empowers mobile game developers and players with democratized access to fun, fair and skill-based competition for real prizes, shifting the paradigm to make eSports accessible to anyone, anywhere with a mobile device.
Skillz helps developers build multi-million dollar game franchises by turning content into competitive social gaming properties for the world's 2.6 billion gamers. The company has already worked with 13,000 game developers, leveraging its patented technology to host over 800 million tournaments for 18 million players worldwide.
This year, Skillz was recognized as one of Fast Company's Most Innovative Companies and CNBC Disruptor 50 (for the second time). In 2018, Skillz was listed as one of Forbes' Next Billion-Dollar Startups and Entrepreneur Magazine's 100 Brilliant Companies. In 2017, Inc. Magazine ranked Skillz the No. 1 fastest-growing private company in America.
The company is backed by leading venture capitalists, media companies, and professional sports luminaries, ranging from Liberty Global, Accomplice, Wildcat Capital, Telstra Ventures, and a founder of Great Hill Partners to the owners of the New England Patriots, Milwaukee Bucks, New York Mets, and Sacramento Kings.
Who we're looking for:
Your passion for design leads you to creating fresh new concepts that can change an industry. You take initiative, you find solutions to obvious and hidden problems without being asked. The status quo is not sufficient, and you are constantly looking for new ways to improve your designs and a user's experience and you expect the people around you to do the same. Designers on the Player Experience will shape how users interact with Skillz within mobile games.
What You'll Do:
* Work end to end from discovery to implementation, focusing on creating industry defining mobile experiences
* Work closely with the Skillz App team to help drive vision and create solutions for millions of active players
* Focus equally on both end-user and business goals in your design process
* Help create a social and game distribution platform from the ground up in a fast-paced agile environment
* Work with internal key-stakeholders and external user segments to define MVP features and beyond
* Work together with the Skillz App team to build out and define a cohesive design language and UI library
* 2+ years of Design experience outside of college/internships, production experience as a product designer, creating platform centric solutions
* A passion for excellence. You seek to understand the "why" in your design process
* Mobile design experience for Android, iOS and mobile web
* Experienced in using various design software including Sketch, Adobe CC, Invision, & Principle
* A polished portfolio of work showing your visual design skills and evidence of a great design process
* Ability to manage deadlines and collaborate in a cross functional environment
* You have shipped products or features and can describe how you measured success for them
* You can present a vision, and tell the story of how we arrive there
Skillz embraces diversity and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. As part of our commitment to diversifying our workforce, we do not discriminate on the basis of age, race, sex, gender, gender identity, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, marital status, citizenship, veteran status, or disability status, and we operate in compliance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Skillz is a marketplace platform that helps players discover mobile games and compete against other players around the world.