At Backstage, we're focused on providing the best career tools and talent discover platform for performing artists (actors, models, dancers, musicians, and more) and industry professionals (filmmakers, theaters, digital content creators, brands, and more).
About the Role
We're looking for an experienced Product Designer to join the product team at Backstage. You will be working on cutting edge technology and new product development in an established company that is rapidly growing. This is a great opportunity for a Product Designer looking to further expand their well-established career, who is excited about solving complex problems, taking ownership, and who enjoys speaking directly with customers as well as working with technologies like HTML, CSS and SASS. As the second Product Designer on the team, you will have plenty of opportunity for your voice to be heard and to help the Backstage product evolve.
You should have played a significant role in the design of a large-scale, consumer-facing website, and have extensive experience iterating on products using insights gained from analytics and through speaking with customers. You should also be comfortable with the entire product development life cycle (inception to release) in an Agile environment. You should take great pleasure in creation, chaos and problem solving through healthy debate. You should be comfortable collaborating with other team members, taking direction when needed, and occasionally working solo. You know about good code style; however, you also know how to be reasonable about it. You are passionate about writing eloquent code and take pride in your craft. As a Product Designer, you'll work closely with each individual contributing software engineer and stakeholder to ensure everything that's released solves the problem it was meant to solve and does so with high quality design.
* Help identify key areas throughout the site that can be enhanced
* Justify your recommendations with data, balancing both user and business goals and continually striving for improvements across the entire customer experience
* Create user flows, mockups, and prototypes for a wide spectrum of devices
* Cull ideas and inspiration from the best of the internet and other product experiences
* Work closely with the Lead Product Designer and Development team to suggest, refine, and edit prototypes for each stage of the product design cycle
* Synthesize customer data into meaningful insights
* Incorporate both quantitative and qualitative information into the decision-making and product roadmapping process
* Share those perspectives and insights throughout the entire product design cycle, including the ideation, planning, development, and post-deployment stages
* Represent user perspectives with integrity and prioritize their needs across each and every project
Minimum Skills + Experience:
* Strong wireframing/prototyping skills
* Experience conducting user research/partnering with user researchers
* Experience partnering with engineers to release features, products, and/or services
* Experience working on complex applications
* Experience working with design systems
* Must be able to code HTML/CSS mockups from your designs
* Experience using tools like Sketch and InVision
* Excellent visual and verbal communication skills
* Comfortable with ambiguity, and learning through experimentation
* 3 years of professional experience in a related field
Preferred Skills + Experience:
* Experience designing for mobile (mobile browsers, iOS apps)
* Experience working in relatively small and growing teams (10-15)
* Experience working in an Agile environment
* Experience using project workflow software like Jira or Trello
* Interest in the creative talent / creative content producing industries
* Knowledge of payments systems in a B2C environment
Backstage, LLC, is the leading platform in creative talent placement. We are currently composed of two brands: Backstage.com, for actors; and Sonicbids.com, for musicians -- with plans to launch additional verticals organically and through acquisition. Nowhere else will you find the same combination of startup energy and entertainment industry creativity atop the solid foundation of an established but small and fast-growing business with decades of success in our industry.
We are a close knit, agile team that is disrupting the creative talent placement industry through technical innovation, product design and a solid business model. At the heart of our success and growth resides a group of hardcore technologists, writers, marketers, and product designers who share a tight bond and believe that collaboration creates a better experience for our users.
We offer benefits including a dog friendly office, health insurance (vision and dental available), commuter benefits, 401K, unlimited vacation, and tickets/tuition for select conferences/courses. Our DUMBO office is spacious and convenient to 3 subway lines.