Posting Job Description
Spectrum Networks is looking for enthusiastic, talented and driven individuals to join the best and brightest in gathering, producing and delivering stories that make a difference within a 24-hour breaking news environment! Our commitment is to engage viewers with relevant, timely news that's important to the local communities we serve.
Who we are: Spectrum Networks is a series of 27 hyper-local news and 9 regional sports networks owned and operated by Charter Communications, Inc. Spectrum Networks seeks to provide the most essential local news and information, cultivating relevant and thoughtful conversations that foster informed and engaged communities.
The Environment: Spectrum News is a 24-hour breaking news network which requires employees who are flexible and available to work various shift, including early morning, late evenings, weekends and holidays.
Being on our team means … You're ready to inspire and be inspired! You're passionate, creative and highly technical, driven to flourish in a competitive, fast-paced environment. You're fiercely accurate, with a desire to leverage your knowledge, skills and abilities to share news stories to viewers in our local communities. You're nimble, having the ability to pivot in an ever-changing workflow. You are a team player with a positive attitude and strong interpersonal skills. You have the ability to multi-task, meet tight deadlines and remain calm under pressure.
What we're looking for: One of the most exciting digital producer positions open at Spectrum News NY1 in New York City. You will be collaborating directly with our lead anchors, reporters and producers for our live Mornings on 1 show to create unique unforgettable digital storytelling experiences across our channels: our social media, website, app, podcasts, newsletter, email and other future digital properties.
We are looking for an outgoing social media star who knows New York, lives and breathes social media, loves news, and is looking work directly with the city's top news talent.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
* Attend editorial meetings to stay synced with all ongoing and breaking news priorities and provide suggestions for digital content extensions
* Create innovative digital storytelling packages that enhance the Mornings On 1 portfolio and engage a new audience
* Collaborate with anchors and show producers to develop compelling content that grows show brand and involves viewers more deeply in the story
* Adhere to AP print style and provide script edits to maintain spelling & grammar accuracy, clarity and staying factual
* Compose and publish text, video and images to site using online publishing tools and other software programs
* Build site content widgets and special sections that highlight priority content in an engaging way
* Craft social media post copy and video/image elements that are impactful and compelling to users
* Track web and social metrics and assist the team in making strategic content changes when necessary
* Interface with digital producers across the Spectrum News footprint on items including editorial projects, web development, copywriting, and more
* Assist with the generation, aggregation, management and utilization of user-generated content
* Apply SEO techniques to increase visibility of content
* Manage weekly podcast promotion and increase listeners through creative, compelling social posts
* Stay familiar with trends within the online news industry
* Operate Adobe CQ5 and Experience Manager content management system for publication of stories
* Leverage Dalet newsroom management system and programs like Adobe Photoshop to access source material and craft content
* Use online tools to manage news channel's social media accounts
* Rely on knowledge of HTML, CSS, web scripting and FTP to drive efficiencies
* Work within design programs like Adobe Photoshop to produce high quality digital visuals to accompany content
* Publish text and e-mail alerts as necessary
* Monitor site metrics on various software-based dashboards
* Perform other duties as assigned
* Ability to read, write, speak and understand English
* Must demonstrate proficiency at multi-tasking and must have the ability to prioritize, work independently and meet strict deadlines
* Interpersonal: has contact with media and general public with excellent collaboration skills and the ability to work effectively within a team environment and interact with all personnel within the organization
* Attention to detail
* Must be able to work rapidly and accurately
* Knowledge of current events and industry trends
* Operate content management system for publication of stories
* Knowledge of HTML and broad-based computer applications is strongly preferred
* Basic knowledge of Photoshop and Premiere
* Pro-active, self-directed, enthusiastic in dealing with breaking news and high-stress situations
* Familiarity with internet publishing workflow, including experience with a content management system, image editing software, video editing tools and social media platforms
* Ability to tell engaging stories in the digital space by adding video assets, photos, social, etc.
* Must be able and willing to work different shifts and be flexible with schedule changes
Education & Experience:
* Bachelor's degree in Journalism, Communications or related field or comparable television work experience
* 3+ years of editorial experience producing news, sports and lifestyle content
* Experience using metrics and social tools to improve digital strategy and engagement
* Proven experience with advanced and creative storytelling techniques on multiple platforms
Our Culture: Every employee is an influencer and culture keeper. We expect respectful communication (despite pressure), openness to feedback, an eagerness to learn, and an overall positive attitude! Roles may require the following:
* Overtime may be required to meet deadlines
* Varying schedule due to, breaking news and/or daily news coverage requirements
* Provide 24x7, 365 days per year, on-call support. May entail phone or physical presence at the facility for equipment failure or other disasters. This includes, but is not limited to equipment and power failures, loss of contracted services, storms or severe weather, and schedule conflicts
* Participation in an established on-call rotation