What you'll be doing...
Our compute virtualization and storage infrastructure provides critical services to both internal and external customers. You'll oversee lifecycle aspects of multiple service environments, acting as an owner of systems and consulting on others. You'll also understand and manage the interrelationships between the various products and the infrastructure systems in place. We take pride in our well-organized, well-documented, stable, and compliant infrastructure environments, and you'll get to play a key role.
Working as a Tier 3 engineer for the Integrated Solutions Desk (ISD) 24x7 team, you will be supporting several customers' worldwide with enterprise solutions. You will possess a high degree of proficiency for support of VMware vSphere enterprise solutions, Cisco Unified Computing System (UCS) architecture, Cisco networking, HP and Dell servers, and EMC and Net App storage. This position will serve as the Tier 3 escalation point for all incidents, changes, and problems associated with our virtualization platform. The scope of work will include support of the following operating systems; Windows Server 2008/2012/2016, Red Had Enterprise 5.3-7.x, SUSE, and ESXi, and the lifecycle of each platform. Responsibilities may also encompass scripting languages that are used for automation of repeatable procedures.
Additional responsibilities are to document method of procedures (MOP) for all customers for change operations that need to be executed for purposed changes or for resolution of incidents that were from a customer outage. This position will require joining customer bridges to provide updates during outages that are related to the platform.
You will work as part of a team to contribute service improvement efforts by identifying and establishing new processes and evolving existing procedures related to ISD Tier I and II support. Scope of position may encompass evaluating current or new enterprise solutions for customers that the ISD will support, recommend strategies to improve and scale the platform, implement new solutions, and train ISD Tier II for day to day support.
Additional activities could include:
* Maintaining capacity and availability for multiple service environments.
* Ensuring our compliance with all applicable regulations.
* Managing security/access control, licensing, and overseeing vendors where required
* Delegating work to senior and junior engineers where appropriate.
* Analyze and make recommendations related to the cost of infrastructure.
* Managing change through structured change management processes
* Communicate to educate others on the use of our platforms
* Provide subject matter expertise for strategic and tactical initiatives.
What we're looking for...
You have the ability to successfully organize and direct the execution of major projects. You've got exceptional technical background, problem solving and critical thinking skills and an ability to work within an operational budget. You take real pride of ownership in the infrastructure environments you run.
You'll need to have:
* Bachelor's degree or four or more years of work experience.
* VCP or related certifications
* Six or more years of relevant work experience.
* Experience with converged/integrated compute infrastructure systems, including requisite network knowledge. Specifically, Cisco UCS.
* Experience with compute virtualization systems such as VMware, vSphere.
* Experience managing an environment(s) with thousands of hypervisor instances running on compute blade systems and both SAN and NAS storage arrays.
* Experience with enterprise class storage systems, storage networks, storage management systems, and replication technology with products from NetApp, EMC, HP 3Par, Cisco, Brocade or Cohesity.
* Experience automating tasks via scripting/programming languages.
* Strong end-to-end troubleshooting skills and problem solving abilities.
Even better if you have:
* Bachelor's degree in information systems or engineering.
* Technology experience with multiple Operating Systems (MS Windows, Linux)
* Demonstrated capability to successfully create and manage programs for infrastructure lifecycle processes such as capacity, availability, configuration management, and access management.
* Thorough understanding of interdependencies and protocols across compute, network, and storage technologies.
* Knowledge and experience with ITIL including practical application of ITIL processes. Ideally, with ITIL v3 Foundation Level certification or higher.
* Experience with additional hypervisors and OpenStack based cloud computing infrastructures.
* Experience with Hyperconverged infrastructure.
When you join Verizon...
You'll be doing work that matters alongside other talented people, transforming the way people, businesses and things connect with each other. Beyond powering America's fastest and most reliable network, we're leading the way in broadband, cloud and security solutions, Internet of Things and innovating in areas such as, video entertainment. Of course, we will offer you great pay and benefits, but we're about more than that. Verizon is a place where you can craft your own path to greatness. Whether you think in code, words, pictures or numbers, find your future at Verizon.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We're proud to be an equal opportunity employer- and celebrate our employees' differences,including race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, and Veteran status. Different makes us better.
Verizon Communications (formerly Bell Atlantic) is a company providing communications, information, and entertainment products and services.