As part of a small, passionate and accomplished team of experts, you will lead efforts to identify, capture, develop, and demonstrate technologies in the area of machine learning and data science to support Blue Origin's vision of enabling a future where millions of people are living and working in space. You will lead small and multi-disciplinary teams to identify, prioritize, and execute industry-shaping technology projects across the product lifecycle while working with internal and external customers and partners.
You will help develop a long range technology and innovation roadmap, ensure your efforts support the company vision, and incorporate or evolve projects into major development programs as needed. You should be adept at managing to a plan and a budget in a small team, comfortable adjusting it in response to evolving requirements or external constraints, and prioritizing technology investment all the while infusing and facilitating creativity and innovation. This position will directly impact the history of space exploration and will require your dedicated commitment and detailed attention towards safe and repeatable human spaceflight.
While in this role, you will leverage your extensive experience in machine learning and data science to accelerate and innovate across business areas to drive improvements in the way we design, build, and operate our vehicles, launch systems, and business. The ideal candidate will have direct experience in the applied development and implementation of machine learning and deep learning techniques, artificial intelligence, operational research, semantic analysis, statistical methods or other advanced processing techniques.
* Define and manage a portfolio of technologies including capture, execution and infusion into major development programs
* Prepare and manage design/technology reviews
* Develop strategic plans and technology roadmaps to meet internal and external customer needs in the areas of machine learning and data science
* Project engineering, including tracking, reporting, and communication of status as well as definition and management of technical tasks, critical path items, and risks/opportunities
* Develop project plans, budgets, and schedules, both from internally derived goals and constraints and from customer contracts and statements-of-work
* Identify staffing needs and resources priorities
* Budget management and tracking
* Define and capture new Research & Development (R&D) business, including supporting proposals to the U.S. Government
* Support the business development activities to tailor capabilities to meet emerging needs
* Participate in conferences and customer meetings as a representative of Blue Origin
* Establish, coordinate, and mature academic and research partnerships
* Minimum of a M.S. degree Electrical or Aerospace Engineering, Computer Science, Applied Mathematics, Physical Sciences or related technical field
* 15+ years industry experience, 5+ in progressive project management roles
* Demonstrated technical expertise in machine learning techniques, probabilistic reasoning, adaptive control, data science, and/or optimization
* Scientific thinking and the ability to invent, a track record of thought leadership and contributions that have advanced the field
* Demonstrated ability to perform both theoretical (e.g., modeling, simulation, analysis, design) and applied (implementation, testing, and validation) development of advanced algorithms and data processing techniques
* Demonstrated experience leading and managing small teams on fast-paced projects
* Demonstrated software development experience
* Leadership and management experience as well as a history of mentoring
* Project management skills
* Excellent written and verbal communication skills
* Must be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident (current Green Card holder), or lawfully admitted into the U.S. as a refugee or granted asylum
* Ph.D. in Electrical or Aerospace Engineering, Computer Science, Applied Mathematics, Statistics or related technical field
* Experience across multiple portions of the product life cycle (concept definition through operations and use)
* Familiarity with applying machine learning techniques to real-time, safety-critical systems
* Specific experience leading Research & Development (R&D) projects
* Experience with proposal leadership or support (technical/management volumes, basis-of-estimate development, etc.)
* Experience working with and proposing to U.S. Government research agencies (e.g. NASA, AFRL, DARPA)
* Experience with human spaceflight
* Familiarity with autonomous systems, business intelligence, or generative design
* Experience developing requirements, defining subsystem interfaces (both in-house and between external partners/suppliers), and other systems engineering products and practices
* Ability to obtain and retain a security clearance
Blue Origin offers a phenomenal work environment and awesome culture with competitive compensation, benefits, 401K, and relocation.
Blue Origin is an equal opportunity employer. In addition to EEO being the law, it is a policy that is fully consistent with Blue's principles. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to status as a protected veteran or a qualified individual with a disability, or other protected status such as race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, pregnancy or age. Blue Origin prohibits any form of workplace harassment.
About Blue Origin
Blue Origin is an aerospace manufacturer and spaceflight services company.