Department: Product Management
Location: Boston, Santa Barbara, Seattle
Do you believe in the Internet of Things, companies have a responsibility to provide great security alongside great technology and experiences? Do you have a passion in making those security experiences "magical", seamless, and robust from the gadgets people love having in their homes to the services in the cloud those gadgets talk to? Do you love working with engineering teams to ship products that people love having in their homes? And do you also constantly think about how to make things better?
Sonos was founded on a belief that high-quality sound delivered seamlessly throughout your day can improve your life. This founding belief - that listening better can mean living better - motivates us now more than ever, as new technologies, particularly smart speakers, craft new experience possibilities. In creating the wireless home audio category over the past decade, we've also created a passionate fan base, one that deserves our assurance that the Sonos system is a personal and shared experience, individualized, as well as secure as you move throughout your daily life.
We are looking for a technical Product Manager to lead our core Identity and Authorization technologies and grow the platform that enables us to provide incredibly rich sound experiences in all aspects of our lives both inside and outside the home, and in intensely personal times or shared with friends, family, or even just the people you happen to find yourself around.
Sonos embraces people that come from diverse backgrounds, bring unique perspectives, and that share a common passion for creating sound experiences that become the audio track of people's lives. We are looking for a Product Manager that is as passionate about music as they are about protecting our customers from security threats and protecting customer privacy as technologies, standards and expectations evolve. If you have a deep appreciation for the ever evolving challenge of security and privacy protections; if you love the enduring responsibility of realizing these values using a mix of scaling through automation, software governance and policy, and solving complex problems through human collaboration; if you appreciate the complexity of working across cloud, mobile and desktop client, and hardware engineering boundaries; and your job satisfaction is anchored in what you anticipate and solve before it becomes a security or privacy concern, then we'd love to talk to you about working with us at Sonos.
More than a candidate that checks every box, we're looking for people who are excited to work, learn, and grow at Sonos-no matter their background or how they identify. If that's you, we hope you'll apply for this role.
You want to be part of a team.
You come with new ideas and a unique point of view. You look forward to collaborating with a diverse team of individuals. You assume everyone's best intentions, welcome a healthy debate, and embrace differing opinions. You eagerly seek and give help. Transparency tops your list of values, and you proactively contribute to a culture of respect and inclusion.
You enjoy a challenge.
Inquisitive and focused, you see every challenge as an opportunity. You're ambitious and comfortable making mistakes because you learn from them and bounce back quickly. You would rather create the future than wait for it. You prioritize long-term value over short-term objectives.
You love to listen.
You approach every interaction with curiosity and a desire to understand. You want to make a positive impact in the world. You're passionate about culture and know the power that music, film, podcasts, games, and stories have to bring people together.
What You'll Do
* By closely working with teams across the firmware, cloud, and mobile software teams, you will create a highly scalable, highly secure, and highly usable Identity and Access Control ecosystem for SONOS, its partners, and its customers. You will define engineering investments and influence roadmap priorities and ensure appropriate resource allocation across the entire software organization.
* You will think in terms of security, scale, user experience, and future-proofing, building the business case for the scale of investment, driving awareness on both the security and privacy model as well as the user model, and growing expertise throughout the software engineering organization.
* You'll anticipate and identify security and privacy risks, educate our teams, propose policy, and design engineering solutions. You will work across client and cloud infrastructure, including device firmware, our developer platform and our partner integrations. You'll balance short-term effort with long-range strategy, planning, and execution. You will be a key leader in ensuring Sonos products and the Sonos brand continue to lead the industry in assuring customers we are the best experience for sound in the home and beyond.
Skills You'll Need
Identity and Access Control Technologies
* You are someone who has a deep knowledge of modern Identity and Access Control technologies. You are comfortable with encryption at rest and over the wire, and know how to secure sensitive, personal information for use in authentication workflows. You are also convinced that Identity and Access Control can be designed in a way that provides a delightful and innovative experience while also providing great security protections. You are also someone who has an understanding of authorization policy and enforcement across a product landscape that provides a robust, flexible, and simple environment for controlling access to devices and services for consumer and business scenarios.
Software Security Risk Assessment and Security Design
* We need an authority on security threats and patterns across client, cloud, IoT devices and platform APIs. You are clear-eyed about assessing current and prospective risks and execute processes and systems (such as penetration testing) that anticipate and prevent attacks, as well as help design and implement technologies that detect threats and implement self-defense measures.
Influence and Leadership
* As an experienced technology leader, you will apply a range of influence methods to define and embed industry standard methodologies throughout software engineering. You'll partner with teams across the company to implement the technologies needed to run a highly available, highly secure Identity and Access Control service and the ancillary/supporting services and infrastructure that requires.
* Your written and verbal communication skills are a significant factor in establishing your credentials as the Product Management Leader for Identity and Access Control within our software organization. You can crisply articulate a strategy and cast issues and trade-offs in language that ensures the broader engineering team understands risks and priorities. You provide insightful explanations of data and lead by example in urgent circumstances with deliberate, organized, thorough and grounded solutions. You can represent Sonos effectively with customers, the broader security and privacy community, and other outside organizations.
* Your authentic optimism and appreciation for the benefits of highly secure yet seamlessly "magical" experiences are infectious and help Sonos understand the positive impacts of the work. You define your success in terms of the customer benefit and team-wide accomplishments as well as how well Sonos protects our customers' personal information and the systems they bring into their world. You broadcast lessons learned so that others can make more rapid progress and celebrate progress in a world in which we're never done, only always improving and moving forward.
More About Sonos
Sonos is a sound experience company. We pioneered multiroom wireless audio, made it sound amazing, and changed the way people listen, making it effortless for them to enjoy what they want, where they want, how they want.
Today we continue empowering listeners by developing new technologies, thoughtfully designing products, expanding our software platform, and crafting brilliant sound experiences while participating in a culture that values respect, transparency, collaboration, and ownership.
Together we're working to positively impact the world and inspire everyone to listen better-because listening brings people together, builds understanding, drives change, and makes us happier.
Notice to European Job Applicants: Information you submit as a part of your job application will be used in accordance with Sonos EU Job Applicant Privacy Notice.
Notice to U.S. Job Applicants: Sonos is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, and other legally protected characteristics.
Follow the links to review the EEO is the Law poster and its supplement. The pay transparency policy is available here. Sonos is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please send an e-mail to email@example.com and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information.
About Sonos, Inc.
Sonos is a consumer electronics company that makes a variety of wireless audio products.