The Semantic Machines group is working to reshape human-computer interaction with conversational AI in our three offices: Boston MA, Berkeley CA, and Bellevue WA. We're looking for a principal software engineering manager to work hand-in-hand with our data and research teams to build sophisticated data collection tools, amplify our research and engineering productivity, and streamline our machine learning infrastructure.
* A bachelor's in computer science or a related field (or equivalent years of experience).
* 8+ years of professional work in a software engineering role.
* 2+ years of experience in a manager role (ideally including remote reports).
* Clear history of taking ownership of software projects and teams, including collecting feedback and requirements, producing technical designs, guiding other team members, and iterating on the resulting software with users over time.
* A desire to strive for efficient, understandable, and flexible abstractions in code.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.
* Run a team of 5-10+ engineers (local and remote) to deliver on goals in data collection, researcher/engineer productivity, machine learning infrastructure, and related areas.
* Make prioritization recommendations, allocate resources, and hire additional engineers to further the above goals.
* Participate in weekly planning sessions for our cross-functional research/engineering/UX teams to set priorities and create execution strategies.
* Spend at least 10-20% of your time writing and reviewing code, or other forms of individual contribution.
Microsoft is a technology company that develops and supports software, services, and devices.