The Windows Shell Team is at the start of a significant transformation and is moving from large scale, perpetual release to frequent updates and a service like cadence. Our team is leading the charter to enable the Windows Shell to ship fast with high quality and such that we can progressively improve our user experience. We have just started on this journey and are looking for a leader to drive the new Engineering System for our team to achieve these goals while ensuring quality, reliability, power, and other key metrics are maintained. In this role you will work with leaders and engineers across windows to establish builds, continuous integration, testing, release branching, the necessary tooling and processes, and retail shipping mechanisms for our team.
The Software Engineering Manager will drive the vision, evolution, execution, architecture and evangelism of the engineering tools and systems that the Windows Shell will use to deliver on our key product goals. You will be able to hire a team and lead a multi-disciplinary set of engineers and program managers to design the system and architecture, stand up solutions, and design the user experiences that are intuitive and result in the team loving the new tools and processes that enable them to deliver great products to our customers.
Once the Engineering System is established the team will be responsible for running the daily rhythm of business and ship cycle while managing key reliability, power, performance, experimentation and other identified and necessary processes for shipping.
* 8+ years of management experience with technical program management or development background
* Broad understanding of developer workflows and developer tools ecosystem
* Strong project management and people management skills
* Track record of building diverse, high-functioning teams, including recruiting and retaining talent
* Proven competency in strategic leadership, organizational agility, cross-team collaboration, drive for results, and written and verbal communications
* Experience building software products with diverse engineering teams and stakeholders
Experience managing teams using Agile/Scrum methodology helpful
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.
Strategic Leadership: Work with the leadership team to define and communicate the strategy for collecting and presenting the right information to make build-promotion decisions. Represent and communicate shared vision across stakeholders in the windows organization.
Manage a team of leaders that includes Software Engineers, Data Engineers and Program Managers in defining and executing the roadmap for various components of a robust engineering system. Establish and ensure solutions meet the teams OKRs and delight our customers.
Execute on Vision: Work closely with Engineering Leaders across Shell and Engineers within your team to deliver solutions and be accountable for the results.
Partner Team Engagements: Identify and work with several internal partner teams (COSINE, Azure Dev Ops, E+D and App Store) delivering on similar mission and ensure that the team creates comprehensive, non-redundant solutions by fostering collaboration.
The ideal candidate will demonstrate:
* Planning and Execution: Ability to think holistically and strategically. Leverage understanding of engineering rhythm so that the team operates at a high level, knowledge is shared appropriately, and decision making happens at the right levels on the team. Proven ability to plan, organize, and manage complex technical products.
* Communication: Able to conduct insightful, multi-faceted conversations with senior business and technical decision makers inside Windows. Conceptualize complex ideas quickly and convey those thoughts to others in a clear, effective and motivating manner.
* Collaboration: Expert collaborator able to work effectively across broad teams and influence stakeholders of all levels and of all disciplines across Microsoft.
* Microsoft Values: As a member of the Leadership Team, candidates must be excellent representatives of the Microsoft cultural attributes and leadership principles, in particular fostering an inclusive culture.
* Judgment: Excellent business and technical judgment. Consistently demonstrating executive maturity and intellectual curiosity, helping the team pursue the best ideas.
Microsoft is a technology company that develops and supports software, services, and devices.