DePuy Synthes, a member of Johnson & Johnson's Family of Companies, is recruiting for Principal Software Engineer, Orthopaedic Robotics to be based in Boston, MA.
DePuy Synthes, part of the Johnson & Johnson Medical Devices Companies, provides one of the most comprehensive orthopedics portfolios in the world. DePuy Synthes solutions, in specialties including joint reconstruction, trauma, craniomaxillofacial, spinal surgery and sports medicine, are designed to advance patient care while delivering clinical and economic value to health care systems worldwide. For more information, visit www.depuysynthes.com
As the Principal Software Engineer you will translate product requirements into equipment software requirements and develop test cases for software verification and validation. They will interface with equipment integrators for reviewing software requirements and design, control of source code, reviewing code, configuration management, change management, program testing, integration of software, and release management process.
This represents an excellent opportunity for someone who is excited to build groundbreaking robotic surgical capabilities within orthopedics, working in a cross- functional environment across the franchise and the sector globally. This position holds accountability for our critical robotics technology programs, and will work closely with internal R&D Digital Platform team and with external development partners as well.
* Collaborate with software development team members to prototype, design, and implement innovative software solutions.
* Develops software technology design, utilizing software structures that meet current needs and address future technologies and interoperabilities.
* Collaborate with various cross-functional team members (electrical, optics, mechanical, research, regulatory, quality, marketing, clinical, manufacturing, etc.) from initial product concept thru final product launch.
* Develop/implement and document software requirements, code, and unit testing
* Test and troubleshoot software and provide solutions or investigate alternative design options
* Support software builds for evaluation for human factors evaluation and Verification and Validation (V&V) for R&D and clinical studies
* Support V&V test protocol generation, execution and report release
* Execute engineering studies to test early concepts
* Investigate and refactor existing software/architecture
* Drive innovation of product improvements or next generation products
* Leading design activities for complex software that integrates with electro-mechanical surgical devices. Integrating the work of multiple technical disciplines and technologies.
* Demonstrate superb oral and written communication skills, collaborating as part of a team, working seamlessly with team members across various global locations.
* We are looking for someone with collaboration and communication skills in both team and management review environments. You should be able to effectively navigate in a matrix organization and build relationships with key business partners to deliver tangible results, communicate needs and issues to drive customer-focused solutions.
* To ensure timely execution of project objectives, you must demonstrate problem-solving skills and initiative and promptly raise issues to the appropriate accountable party.
* You should have demonstrated successful experience with project or program management and have led a team and influence others, preferably in a multi-cultural global environment.
* You will have strong data analysis skills and capability to provide clear presentation of data.
* A minimum of a Bachelor's degree in Computer Science/Engineering or other Engineering discipline is required.
* MS or PhD in Computer Science/Engineering or other engineering discipline is preferred.
* A minimum of 7 years of progressive development work experience (including experience with the Software Development Life Cycle (SDLC)) is required.
* A minimum of 3 years of software application development in C++ and C# on the Windows platform is required.
* Experience with at least two of the three areas is required: hardware control, user interface, threading, enterprise systems
* Experience developing software for complex hardware systems required.
* Experience with software development in a regulated industry (medical, FAA, or similar) is highly preferred.
* Orthopedic experience and experience with product design are desirable.
* Familiarity with Atlassian tools (JIRA, Bitbucket) is preferred.
* Project management skills, including the ability to simultaneously manage multiple tasks / projects preferred.
* Experience in GUI and multi-threaded embedded software interface and synchronization mechanisms preferred.
* Breadth and depth of clinical expertise in spine surgery, knee replacement, hip replacement and other joint replacement therapies preferred.
* Demonstrated experience in, or willingness to participate in a start- up type culture working in a fast pace, small nimble team environment is desired.
* This position is located in Boston, MA and will require up to 15-20% travel domestic and internationally.
Johnson & Johnson is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
DePuySynthes Products Inc (6149)
R&D Engineering (R&D)