Consumer Sales and Marketing Engineering is the primary engineering partner for the Microsoft Stores and Microsoft Consumer business. We're the engineering team that builds the technologies that enables our stores to be the public face of Microsoft, where every individual, community, and business can directly experience all that's possible with Microsoft.
Microsoft Retail Stores has an opening for a Principal Software Engineer that will design and implement the microservice layer for our ecommerce storefront. As part of your work, you will contribute to evolution of our content management system and will improve the efficiency of store operations. We are looking for someone that not only understands what it takes to implement a world class data layer but also knows how to operate internet scale websites.
Knowledge, experience and skills:
* 10+ years of software engineering experience.
* Experience working through full product cycles from initial design to final product and shipping on time.
* Development skills in Java or C#.
Describe the ideal candidate:
* A passion for building high performing software solutions.
* Solid written/verbal communications skills and excellent problem-solving skills.
* Outstanding technical problem solving and debugging capability.
* Experience with Continuous Delivery practices, TDD.
* Proven experience managing ambiguity from incubation to actual product delivery.
* Familiarity with microservice architectures (Azure Functions, AWS Lambda, OpenWhisk).
* Experience with modern engineering practices (Automated unit testing, A/B testing, feature flighting, API versioning).
* Demonstrated ability to work with customers to extract specific business goals and requirements and translate those requirements into solutions to meet customer goals and objectives.
* Ability to quickly ramp up on new languages and technologies.
* Desire to coach less experienced team members.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.
* Collaborate across organizations to help reduce schedule dependency; decoupling implementation details by agreeing on interfaces and mocks.
* Work collaboratively with a team of diverse and talented peers and foster an environment where group success outweighs individual success.
* Drive quality for the product; ensure all features have test coverage, validate error conditions have proper logging, refactor code to reduce complexity & document design decisions.
* Influence schedule, feature, and product design tradeoffs.
* Own accurate costing for engineering activities; executing with high accountability to schedule and quality.
* Operate in a DevOps model while engaging modern engineering practices.
* Design and Develop secure, maintainable, accessible, and scalable systems by ensuring the services and the components are: well-defined and modularized, secure, reliable, diagnosable, actively monitored and reusable.
Microsoft is a technology company that develops and supports software, services, and devices.