Come help improve the programming languages used for developing systems software. The Checked C project is looking for a talented compiler engineer to join our project.
The world's most important software is written in C and C++, including operating systems, browsers, and networking software. Low-level programming errors can turn into security and reliability problems. The Checked C project is incrementally extending C with checking to detect or prevent these errors. For information on the Checked C project, see https://github.com/Microsoft/checkedc.
As a Principal Engineer, you will implement and be responsible for major components of the Checked C compiler implementation. You may also contribute to the design of new features of the Checked C extension. Your responsibilities will depend on your experience and interests: you may work on the compiler front-end, type checker, static checker, or the implementation and optimization of runtime checks. In addition, you may work on automatic conversion tool. We are looking for an engineer who is passionate about compilers and programming languages.
* 10 or more years of software development experience.
* 5 or more years experience implementing compilers or programming languages. Must have at least 3 years experience shipping or creating production-quality compiler implementations.
* Advance course work or research may satisfy the rest of the experience requirement.
* A bachelor's degree in computer science, engineering, or a closely-related subject.
* Experience developing production code in C++, C#, or Java.
* Masters or Ph.D. preferred.
* Experience with clang/LLVM.
* C or C++ programming experience.
* Knowledge of programming language semantics or experience working from programming language specifications.
Ability to meet Microsoft, customer and/or government security screening requirements are required for this role. These requirements include, but are not limited to the following specialized security screenings:
Microsoft Secure Screen: This position will be required to pass the Microsoft Cloud background check and credit history analysis upon hire/transfer and every year thereafter.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.
* Design and implement compiler support and components for Checked C.
* Create tests that show that components and language features work properly.
* Deliver a product-quality implementation.
* Follow and maintain a high-quality software development process.
* Participate in the open-source compiler community.
* Participate in the Checked C extension design.
Microsoft is a technology company that develops and supports software, services, and devices.