How do you protect against those with bad intentions? You create innovative technical processing solutions and collaborate with some of the finest talent in the IT field. Whether you're an Information Systems Technologist or an Encryption Strategy Expert, at Raytheon you'll grow a varied and rewarding career. And you'll be supported with a comprehensive and competitive benefits package that promotes work/life balance. If you're ready to take on today's big challenges, discover a world of opportunity at Raytheon.
* America's Best Large Employers by Forbes
* Career & Development Opportunities
* Entry, Mid, Senior
Back to Job Navigation (Overview)
At Raytheon Intelligence, Information and Services (IIS), we transform data into intelligence. As a leading systems and solutions provider of intelligence, security, and advanced information technologies to government customers in the United States and internationally, IIS provides the right knowledge at the right time, enabling our customers to make timely and accurate decisions to achieve mission goals of national significance.
Bring your talent and skills to the Raytheon IIS engineering team!
We have an urgent need working with industry partners for a Principal Software Engineer with a background as a Solutions Architect who loves working directly with customers and does not mind frequent travel to various locations within the United States. The ideal candidate would enjoy:
* Being a hands-on architect
* Being customer facing, passionate, curious, engaging
* Working on small, focused projects (typically 6 or 10 weeks)
* Transforming existing applications, across a vast spectrum of complexity, language and framework types, to run using Cloud Native patterns and practices
* Coaching and mentoring customer developers, architects, product owners and operations people with the use of agile/XP and techniques like TDD and CI/CD
The candidate will be:
* Providing feedback on - and contributions to - the Spring and Cloud Foundry open source projects, potentially becoming a core committer
* Assisting customers in migrating existing apps to Pivotal Cloud Foundry
* Modernizing customer applications, incrementally improving infrastructure and app architecture techniques
* Working with customers to architect and build new cloud native apps
* Becoming an agent of change within customer organizations
* Willing to travel and work on-site with customers
* Interested in learning new skills through collaboration and hand-on training
* Great written and verbal communicator, capable of public speaking and presenting in front of customers, at user groups, etc.
* Comfortable in new situations with new clients
* Experience building distributed / service oriented / microservice-style and cloud based application architectures
* Have an understanding of - or implementation experience in - building Twelve-Factor applications, and using Domain Driven Design
* Java expert, with experience and familiarity building modern Spring applications with Spring Boot; strong background with Spring and related projects
* Experience building enterprise applications, including integration with COTS systems
* Agile practitioner, familiar with extreme programming, test driven development, pairing, continuous integration, continuous delivery, and related techniques
* 8+ years of software development experience
* Candidate must be willing to travel up to 60% of the time within the United States but would be home for weekends.
* Home base work location could be in Herndon VA or at any Raytheon IIS site within the United States
* A polyglot programmer (JavaEE, C/C++/C#, Go, experience)
* Experience with Pivotal Cloud Foundry and Kubernetes
Clearance Requirements: Current Secret Clearance required.
Required Education (including Major): Bachelor of Science in one of the following: Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Software Engineering, Mathematics.
Business Unit Profile
Raytheon Intelligence, Information and Services delivers innovative technology to make the world a safer place. Our expertise in cyber, analytics and automation allow us to reach beyond what others think is possible to underpin national security and give our global customers unique solutions to solve the most pressing modern challenges -- from the cyber domain to automated operations, and from intelligent transportation solutions to creating clear insight from large volumes of data. IIS operates at nearly 550 sites in 80 countries, and is headquartered in Dulles, Virginia. The business area generated $6.1 billion in 2017 revenues. As a global business, our leaders must have the ability to understand, embrace and operate in a multicultural world -- in the marketplace and the workplace. We strive to hire people who reflect our communities and embrace diversity and inclusion to advance our culture, develop our employees, and grow our business.
Secret - Current
Computer/Management Information Systems
Type Of Job
VA - Herndon
Raytheon is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.
Raytheon is a global company that specializes in defense and other government markets.