As a not-for-profit organization, Partners HealthCare is committed to supporting patient care, research, teaching, and service to the community by leading innovation across our system. Founded by Brigham and Women's Hospital and Massachusetts General Hospital, Partners HealthCare supports a complete continuum of care including community and specialty hospitals, a managed care organization, a physician network, community health centers, home care and other health-related entities. Several of our hospitals are teaching affiliates of Harvard Medical School, and our system is a national leader in biomedical research.
We're focused on a people-first culture for our system's patients and our professional family. That's why we provide our employees with more ways to achieve their potential. Partners HealthCare is committed to aligning our employees' personal aspirations with projects that match their capabilities and creating a culture that empowers our managers to become trusted mentors. We support each member of our team to own their personal development-and we recognize success at every step.
Our employees use the Partners HealthCare values to govern decisions, actions and behaviors. These values guide how we get our work done: Patients, Affordability, Accountability & Service Commitment, Decisiveness, Innovation & Thoughtful Risk; and how we treat each other: Diversity & Inclusion, Integrity & Respect, Learning, Continuous Improvement & Personal Growth, Teamwork & Collaboration.
The Health Innovation Platform (HIP) team at Partners HealthCare is creating technology solutions focused on fundamentally accelerating the rate of clinical innovation in healthcare. We have already worked with clinicians to redefine platelet and heart failure management processes and are now expanding to new areas. Our team joins forces with clinical leaders to determine how entire patient care workflows can be rebuilt to better gather, analyze and react to patient data. We strongly believe, and are intent on collecting data to prove, that it is possible to deploy algorithmically enhanced care to produce better outcomes and reduce cost while improving patient and clinician experiences.
In pursuit of this opportunity, our expanding team is tackling some of the largest challenges in healthcare IT - integrating genetic and other new data sources into clinical workflows, deploying complex analytics-aware infrastructure into mission critical clinical environments, and democratizing healthcare IT. This position offers an opportunity to join our team at an early stage.
More specifically, the projects we undertake are initiated by clinicians across our healthcare system who identify ways in which care delivery could be improved through process change that requires digital interventions. The required functionality often involves bringing together disparate data and applying improved analytics - which in turn requires building highly cross functional teams combining a wide range of types of expertise. Effectively, they need "apps" to provide the support and leverage required to rebuild legacy pathways, validate their safety and effectiveness and then transition the healthcare system to the reimagined processes. This type of support is expensive to create. The HIP team is focused on addressing this challenge too. The team is creating a platform to simplify the development of evolved IT support in the healthcare setting. Consistent with our values, we will open source this platform once it is complete. The platform will increase our development speed thereby bringing benefits to patients in need faster and less expensively than would otherwise be possible.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
We are seeking a talented and experienced Principal Software Engineer. While the successful candidate will spend the majority of their time developing functionality as an individual contributor, this position requires an individual who has enterprise level architectural skills. The Principal Software Engineer must be able to take responsibility for the design and implementation of complex projects, both new functionality and enhancements to existing functionality. Success will require developing data and object models that correctly model clinical data and transactional clinical processes, designing and implementing functionality in a multi-tier architecture built on Spring, ReactJS, and other technologies, maintaining required documentation, and enabling and expanding interoperation between multiple application components serving the needs of multiple organizations.
The Principal Software Engineer will collaborate with clinicians, other Partners departments, and outside collaborators to create new solutions as part of building the Health Innovation Platform in clinical areas such as cardiology and pathology.
Responsibilities for Health Innovation Platform solutions involve collaborating with clinical and other departments to define requirements, create specifications, develop and test software, and deploy and support solutions. Solutions should contribute to and extend the Health Innovation Platform in conjunction with our efforts to create a standard technology platform for clinical innovation within and outside of Partners. Software development efforts may be in conjunction with external vendor partners, requiring management of partner and vendor relationships in the delivery of final solutions.
You will be joining a small team and therefore must be willing to play multiple roles including taking on responsibilities beyond those described above. This position specifically will involve full life cycle development and requires an individual who can work directly with end users to conceptualize, specify, code, test and deploy new cutting-edge medical functionality. As such, deep technical and analytical skills are a necessity. You must be willing to take on other duties the team may need as assigned and participate in the off-hours on-call rotation. The majority of your time will be spent coding.
We are looking for an individual that will thrive as a member of an experienced, high performing and highly motivated team. A desire and ability to take ownership of complex projects and drive them to completion is required. This position offers the exciting opportunity to make a meaningful contribution to the revolution in healthcare IT.
* Gather requirements and prepare technical specifications. * Conduct system and workflow analysis and design * Implement the designs across the full technology stack * Design, create and execute manual and automated tests * Contribute to best practices and continuous learning across team * Contribute to design and implementation of overall HIP platform architecture * Assist in maintenance and ongoing support of developed systems * Use the Partners HealthCare values to govern decisions, actions and behaviors. These values guide how we get our work done: Patients, Affordability, Accountability & Service Commitment, Decisiveness, Innovation & Thoughtful Risk; and how we treat each other: Diversity & Inclusion, Integrity & Respect, Learning, Continuous Improvement & Personal Growth, Teamwork & Collaboration * Other duties as assigned • Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or related field required * 8 years in information technology, 5 years as a software developer * Exceptional Java programming skills * Experience implementing web-based, enterprise applications * In depth knowledge of the Spring Framework and related technologies * Experience developing across presentation, middle and backend application layers * Comfortable with Eclipse IDE, GIT, Linux, Shell and/or Perl Scripting * A combination of education and experience may be substituted for requirements * You have spent at least 50% of your time coding in the last two years
* Knowledge of genetics, genomics, or biological laboratory processes * Knowledge of clinical processes / clinical systems * Knowledge and experience with some of our technologies:
o SQL (Oracle, MySQL, PostgreSQL, or MS SQL)
o OpenShift, Docker, Cloud Foundry, or container-based technology
o Spring, REST
o FHIR, HL7, SMART, OAuth
* Experience working with distributed applications that exchange data * Experience delivering and developing applications based on Microservices Architecture * Experience working with and building real applications using big data technologies such as Apache Hadoop, Apache Cassandra, or Apache Spark
* A desire and willingness to develop a deep understanding of the issues surrounding genetic testing or other clinical areas (prior knowledge in this area is not required). * Demonstrable ability and willingness to efficiently produce high quality code * Demonstrable ability to interact with end users, understand complex clinical processes and develop object models and code that accurately model these processes * Ability to effectively translate business requirements to functional requirements. * Possess strong interpersonal skills to effectively communicate with cross functional teams including staff at all levels of the organization including both technical and non-technical personnel. * Strong problem solving and negotiation skills. * Ability to effectively conduct meetings, both formal and informal, including clinical user meetings. * Requires minimal direction from leadership and possesses the ability to learn quickly. * Ability to successfully negotiate and collaborate with others of different skill sets, backgrounds and levels within and external to the organization. * Willingness to help teammates, share knowledge and experiences, and learn together.
* Standard office environment in Cambridge, MA, with possible local travel to Partners sites * Non-standard work hours may be required as business needs dictate.
About Partners Healthcare
Partners HealthCare is a not-for-profit health care system that is committed to patient care, research, teaching, and service.