We are a rapidly growing company that's revolutionizing the way the restaurant industry does business by pairing technology with an unrivaled commitment to customer success. We help restaurants streamline operations, increase revenue, and deliver amazing guest experiences through our platform that combines restaurant point of sale, guest-facing technology, and award-winning customer support. As a Toaster, you will be challenged to take on meaningful projects that will help shape the future of the company. Join us as we empower the restaurant community to delight guests, do what they love, and thrive.
Do you like to solve complex problems at scale? Toast is looking for a Principal Software Engineer to play a critical role on the team responsible for our Core Ordering APIs as well as working in a cross functional fashion to help drive cross-org API standards. This role will be critical in meeting the requirements of our large Enterprise (chain) customer and help to fuel the transformation of Toast into an API-first organization. Toast currently has several different public facing APIs enabling dozens of unique partners across a number of different verticals including digital ordering, labor management, and loyalty. These APIs enable hundreds of different features for thousands of our customers. With more partners joining the platform and APIs being planned everyday we need we will need to build a system that is both increasingly extensible, robust, scalable and deliverable continuously. We need your help to improve our platform and add the next generation of features to this absolutely mission critical part of our product.
Some projects we've been working on recently include:
* Development of API release processes, standards, and readiness checklists
* Expansion of our Orders API to begin to support full CRUD-type features (starting with features like add payment or discount)
* Creation of new APIs in areas like Loyalty, Tender, Promotions, and Inventory
As a Principal Software Engineer on the Orders Team, you will be:
* Working with our CTO, Chief Architect, as well as other senior level technical and product managers to define and drive API standards
* Designing, building and maintaining high performance, flexible and highly scalable web and mobile applications
* Participating in designing, estimating effort, implementing, testing, debugging, configuring, integrating and documenting database, middle-tier and front-end code
* Diagnosing performance bottlenecks and implementing optimizations for services which deal with hundreds of millions of requests
* Thinking in terms of the end-user and designing accordingly
* Surveying and evaluating available technology options
* Actively contributing to product design and feature selection discussions
* Participating in code reviews to ensure technical implementations meet functional requirements
* Mentoring other team members
Do you have the right ingredients?
* Experience architecting, building, and maintaining web-based APIs
* Proficient in Java; Kotlin a plus
* Well-versed in API Design Patterns such as REST
* Well-versed in tiered web application architecture and databases
* Passionate about building great software
* A lifelong learner
* Known for having a get unblocked attitude
* Microservices knowledge is preferred
* Previous exposure to a SaaS product is preferred
Toast is a tablet point-of-sale app for restaurants, cafes, bars, clubs, and other businesses in the food service and hospitality space.