Granular is the leading software and analytics company for agriculture. We are revolutionizing one of the world's largest and most important industries by making farmers’ lives easier and making them more profitable. Our products help farmers get access to land, make more efficient use of inputs, and make better business decisions. We currently have offices in San Francisco, CA.
We are looking for a Principal Software Engineer to join our team working on our FMS product. No farming/agriculture knowledge required!
You will be an integral part of Granular's success, and this is a unique opportunity to accelerate your career in a fast-paced environment with a team full of passionate, committed people who are excited to transform agriculture!
What you will do:
- Work closely with other developers, product managers, data science and design to develop a high-performance, scalable web application for enterprise use.
- Designing and building an application our farmers can use in the office and in the field.
- Create an application that aggregates and analyzes terabytes of data about soils, climate, crop rotations, taxes, interest rates, and corn prices to calculate the estimated value of an individual field.
- Work directly with the product and design team to create a compelling user experience that is easy to use, and fast to implement.
- Build a workflow that is simple for our farmers to use, yet captures the complexity of managing a professional farm.
- Scale the product and team. There is a need, and flexibility for, horizontal and upward mobility. Mentor engineers and team members.
- Work closely with Product/Engg. leads to chart the path for next generation architecture.
- Understand business requirements and translate them into technical requirements.
Our ideal candidate:
- 7+ years of experience developing user-friendly web applications in a fast-paced environment
- Experience in a technical and/or team leadership role, or a desire to grow into one with a pattern of achievement and growth.
- Proven experience building software with focus on reliability, scalability and performance.
- Strong oral and written communication skills and an ability to collaborate with non co-located teams.
- Specific experience building complex software using web application technologies. Knowledge or desire to learn Python (including Pyramid, Django), MongoDB and PostgreSQL, Messaging systems is a plus.
- Knowledge and experience with DevOps, monitoring, continuous integration software, including AWS, DataDog, SumoLogic, CircleCI, Docker a plus.
- Excellent software design skills, code quality and attention to detail
- B.S. in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Information Systems or other technical degree and/or equivalent experience
- Start-up experience a plus
- At Granular, perks are more than free lunches, a stocked fridge and happy hours (which we have). We value diversity and treat every employee with a high degree of autonomy and respect.
- Have a big impact by joining a small, fast-paced and smart team. We are having fun building a great company and helping one of the most important industries in the world.
- Upward movement. We are growing quickly and need talent who can take on increasingly challenging and rewarding roles.
- Employer sponsored medical, dental, vision
- Open floor plan, dog-friendly offices
- Competitive salary, bonus plan and generous 401(k) match