HMS makes the healthcare system work better for everyone. We fight fraud, waste, and abuse so people have access to healthcare-now and in the future. Using innovative technology and powerful data analytics, we help government and commercial payers reduce costs, increase quality, and achieve regulatory compliance. We also help consumers take a more active role in their own health. Each year, we save our clients billions of dollars while helping people live healthier lives. At HMS, you will develop new skills and build your career in a dynamic industry while making a difference in the lives of others.
We are seeking a talented individual for the Principal Software Engineer who fulfills a key role in design, implementation and testing major systems and subsystems of the AWS platform and core services.
* Works on or with the Architecture team to plan and evolve the system architecture by continuously implementing cloud-first designs at scale.
* Acts as player/coach, leading the design and implementation of major subsystems
* Engages as part of an agile team.
* Ensures architectural decisions and best practices are followed by the Engineering team/agile team.
* Communicates well both inside and outside of the agile team, and with technical and non-technical audiences.
* Serves as a mentor, develops and promotes best practices, and seeks to continuously accelerate team morale and output, while maintaining high quality standards.
* Prototypes new ideas or technologies to prove efficacy and usefulness in production
* Representative projects include:
* Streamlining and refactoring our AWS-based production system.
* Developing REST and gRPC APIs to integrate with partners and customers in real-time.
* Building next-generation tools for creating, managing and deploying multi-channel outreach campaigns.
* Delivering a customer-facing portal using ASP.NET MVC, Typescript, and REST APIs.
* Constructing a state-of-the-art data lake on AWS using DataStax Cassandra, EMR, Spark, NiFi, and Kafka.
* Building voice-enabled applications via SIP.
* Exploring AI chatbots to help answer common healthcare-related questions.
* Experimenting with alternative voice channels, e.g., Amazon's Alexa.
* Performs other functions as assigned
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
* Demonstrated experience developing distributed systems, with an emphasis on cloud environments.
* Command of computer science principles, data structures and programming best-practices.
* Ability to work with "big data", and to deliver systems that scale horizontally.
* Ability to design systems that perform well inside a set of practical constraints.
* Passionate about learning new technologies and applying critical thinking to systems design.
* Ability to be part of a team and to raise the technical bar, making the entire team better.
* practical SQL skills.
* Exhibits intellectual curiosity and the willingness to learn and share technical information.
* Experience working on an agile team and practicing Scrum.
Work Conditions and Physical Demands
* Primarily sedentary work in a general office environment
* Ability to communicate and exchange information
* Ability to comprehend and interpret documents and data
* Requires occasional standing, walking, lifting, and moving objects (up to 10 lbs.)
* Requires manual dexterity to use computer, telephone and peripherals
* May be required to work extended hours for special business needs
* May be required to travel at least 10% of time based on business needs
* Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related field required. Masters preferred
* Amazon Web Services Solutions Architect or Developer Certification (Desired)
Minimum Related Work Experience:
* 10 years' experience designing and delivering production software
* Proven experience designing and implementing large-scale or complex commercial software systems.
* Command of C# and .NET programming and/or open source technologies, e.g., Java.
* Previous experience building a production system on AWS or Azure, with a desire to learn AWS.
* Proven experience dealing with "big" (multi-terabyte) data
* Strong, practical OO experience, e.g., understanding and employing SOLID principles.
Nothing in this job description restricts management's right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
EOE including disability/veteran