Principal Engineer-Software - R&D Medication Delivery
Req #: 190003C8
Location: Round Lake, IL US
Job Category: Research and Development
Date Posted: 6/6/2019 7:27:24 PM
Are you looking for a career that matters?
We believe every person deserves a chance for a healthy life, free from illness and full of possibility. We see a world full of healing, with viable care options available to those with limited choices today. We envision new ways of providing physicians, pharmacists and nurses with technologies that not only treat chronic diseases, but also work to prevent them. We're looking for team members who are motivated to learn, grow and innovate, while making a meaningful difference for millions of people around the world.
As a Principal Software Engineer reports to the Director of Engineering of Global Business R&D Medication Delivery and will lead technical team members in the application of software engineering methodologies and tools to solve complex problems (e.g., software requirements management, architecture, UML-modelling, software configuration management, unit testing, static analysis, and FMEA). Plans and leads project assignments in the evaluation, selection and adaptation of various techniques, procedures, and criteria with minimal guidance.
Utilizes solid understanding of engineering theory and best-practice in a variety of disciplines to manage complex projects or programs within boundaries of quality, time and budget. Provides direction to technical team members that are accountable for software engineering activities. Exhibits creativity and innovation in completing divisional and cross-functional/business unit goals and objectives.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
* Responsible for defining, implementing, executing, and documenting embedded software within Baxter's Infusion Systems and Applications device portfolio. The activities will encompass all facets and phases of software development & test and life cycle management, meeting all regulatory and quality standards to realize complex, innovative, reliable systems that improve the quality of life for people around the world.
* Collaborate with other engineering and functional organizations to understand and define product use cases and convert these use cases into software requirements and design implementations.
* Own and drive activities of software sub-system development and life-cycle management including sub-system development plans, SW requirements development, code development and optimization, unit and integration testing, SW risk and reliability analysis, root cause analysis.
* Responsible for implementing modules/units, performing peer code review, performing unit-testing, subsystem testing and participating/leading various system integration activities.
* Develop solid architectures that balance requirements from multiple stakeholders including marketing/product owner, program management, operations, quality assurance and service.
* Responsible for rapid prototyping of highly innovative concepts for concept/feasibility testing.
* Lead design concept selection efforts and design alternatives.
* Provide technical leadership to teams of engineers to ramp them and guide them.
* Conduct SW design reviews and resolutions of the actions. Define the test automation strategy and implementation.
* Coordinate the software test activities with all other engineering disciplines, including external development partners.
* BS in Electrical, Computer Science, Software Engineering and 5-8 years of product development experience or Master degree with 2-4 years of product development experience with proven record of success in a fast-paced environment.
* Experience with all phases of Software Development Lifecycle, application of Agile methodologies, use of Continuous Integration Tools, Test Automation.
* Broad experience in modern Software Analysis and Design techniques: Object oriented analysis and design, Design Patterns, UML, Systems Engineering: Requirements engineering, use-case development, story boarding, wire-framing, etc.
* Minimum 3+ years of professional experience with C, C++ in embedded RTOS environments.
* Preferred experience in multi-threaded programming, network programming, cybersecurity controls, and GUI development.
* Good knowledge of Data structures and internals of Linux and/or Real Time Operating systems
* Demonstrated experience in analyzing and debugging complex issues with memory / threading / performance. Experience in using memory profiling tools.
* Milestone and timeline driven. Demonstrated success in delivering results on several technical challenges.
* Excellent verbal, written, presentation and organizational skills.
* Experience working with virtual teams & multiple design centers.
* Flexibility in managing change in a dynamic environment.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Baxter is an equal opportunity employer. Baxter evaluates qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, protected veteran status, disability/handicap status or any other legally protected characteristic.
EEO is the Law
EEO is the law - Poster Supplement
Pay Transparency Policy
Baxter is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If, because of a medical condition or disability, you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or interview process, please send an e-mail to Americas_TTA@baxter.com and let us know the nature of your request along with your contact information.
About Baxter International
Baxter International develops, manufactures and markets healthcare products.