The ERL focuses on applied research and development with the goal to develop and transfer innovative technology from industries and research institutions into the automotive domain and build the future generation of cars. The Perception & Machine Learning (PML) team develops technical solutions that assist the driver in safe, convenient and fuel efficient driving, and permit an intelligent interaction with information. We take an innovative, hands-on, and prototyping approach to our project work where out-of-the-box thinking is encouraged. We invite our employees to create technologies that shape the automotive industry and lead research and development activities related to energy efficient electronics and vehicle architectures.
Key responsibilities for this position include coordinating engineers, managing competences and intellectual property, financial planning, strategic project management, and internal/external network development.
Technology Development and Management
* Works either on AI as applied to automotive in general or on AI for autonomous vehicles.
* Treats company strategy, current technology trends and industry trends as inputs, to formulate the high level technical strategy for ML/DL research and predevelopment.
* Influences colleagues in other research centers in the Global Innovation Ecosystem to align behind a technical strategy.
* Serve as the technical lead for highly complex projects/project groups that encompass both the development of algorithms and prototyping of systems that bring together embedded computing and the cloud.
* Mentor and coach mid career ML/DL engineers on technical approaches and best practices.
* Takes on highly ambiguous/challenging problems as personal programming goals.
* Forms and leverages a network in academia, industry and within the company
* Co-oridinates high level management presentations that involve suggesting new technical areas of investment, providing updates of progress as well as arguing against initiatives, all with strong data
* Transfers technologies and solutions to Volkswagen Group development divisions.
* Make build, buy, outsource decisions
* Helps drive publication and IP strategy
Years of Experience
* 10-15 years with 2 years in a technical leadership role
* Master's Degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Science or related field or equivalent
* PhD in Electrical Engineering, Computer Science or in a related field (Desired)
Required Skills and Experience
* Communication skills
* Problem solving skills
* Analytical skills
* Conceptual thinking skills
* Computer savvy
* Integration - joining people, processes or systems
* Broad knowledge of full vehicle interrelationships
* Excellent verbal and writing skills
* Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Products, especially Power Point
* Detailed knowledge of vehicle electronics and driver assistance systems
Required Specialized Skills and Experience
* Strong fundamentals and hands on experience with traditional machine learning and deep learning
* Experience leading teams of machine learning engineers
* Overall familiarity with the autonomous vehicle architecture with a deep understanding of perception and prediction OR a deep understanding of the application of ML/DL in more than one application within automotive.
* Experience with turning concepts into functional prototypes
* Knowledge about embedded hardware and software design
* Experience in desktop software development in Python or equivalent
* Ability to uncover customer needs, understand strategic positioning and formulate product and technology roadmaps
* Strong communication skills, problem solving abilities, and influencing and negotiation skills
* Experience in startup and big companies (Desired)
* Strong publication record or experience shipping products (Desired)
* International and domestic travel to meet with internal/external partners.
* Regular conference attendance for Driver Assistance systems topics research.
* Travel for internal and external shows for communication of project progress, results, and transfer.
We are proud to be an EEO employer M/F/D/V. We maintain a drug-free workplace and perform pre-employment substance abuse testing.