Thales Visionix, Inc. in Billerica MA is seeking an Engineer or Engineering Physicist specializing in Inertial Measurement Sensing for our Research and Development team. We are seeking a multi-talented individual extremely knowledgeable in the fundamentals of inertial sensors and navigation filtering. We are looking for someone who is self-motivated, passionate about his/her work, and versatile enough to solve a wide variety of engineering problems. This person will be part of a small and agile, advanced projects team that works closely with product engineering to bring to market cutting edge, motion-tracking and display technologies for an array of applications, most notably head-mounted augmented reality systems used in fighter jets and other military and civilian applications.
Thales Visionix is a division of Thales Defense & Security, Inc. a global company serving the defense, federal, and commercial markets with innovative solutions for the ground tactical, airborne and avionics, naval/maritime, and public safety and security domains. In addition to mission-critical communication systems, Thales Defense & Security Inc. provides helmet-mounted displays and motion tracking technologies; SATCOM terminals; advanced sonar systems; air traffic management navigation, surveillance, and simulation; and data protection solutions. Furthermore, the company serves as a gateway for technology, leveraging Thales-wide solutions-such as combat management systems; naval, airborne, and ground ISR; and electronic warfare-to address U.S. requirements.
* Collaboratively design, implement, and improve motion tracking / navigation /AHRS filters, fusing inertial sensing, computer vision, and other aiding sensors.
* Understand and defend design trades.
* Explain MEMS inertial sensors to non-technical customers
* Assist/advise business development team in converting customer needs to IMU requirements; and propose/design technical solutions for those requirements.
* Assist/advise in debugging anomalous IMU behavior.
* Assist/advise in designing / maintaining IMU calibration and performance verification software.
* Participate in morning scrum meetings, communicate effectively with the engineering, business development and advanced projects teams regarding ongoing challenges, solutions and capabilities.
* Write and debug new and existing code while working independently or in a small group.
* Collect, analyze and interpret experimental data, including the application of statistical techniques.
* Stay up to date with the latest advancements in relevant sensor fusion and computer vision techniques.
* Semi-annual travel to conferences and trade shows in support of new technologies.
* Ability to support critical deadlines.
* Must be able to uphold, support and educate employees on the Thales Code of Ethics and TUSA Compliance Policy
Qualifications - Required
* U.S. Citizenship Required.
* M.S. in Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Engineering Physics or equivalent with 5+ years of industry experience.
* In-depth understanding of MEMS inertial sensors: how they work, what their specs mean, why those specs are relevant to various applications, and what physical effects (e.g., shock or strain) or manufacturing conditions (e.g., substrate thickness) impact those specs.
* Understanding of IMUs, especially how to build a navigation filter around a MEMS IMU and how IMU specs impact navigation performance.
* Excellent oral and written communication skills; in particular, ability to explain technical concepts to less technical customers.
Qualifications - Desired
* Ph.D. with 15+ years of industry experience.
* Expertise in Kalman filtering.
* Fluency in Simulink, C++, MATLAB, and Python.
* Experience with navigation sensor fusion: IMU aiding, especially with computer vision, though experience with other aiding sensors is also a plus.
* Experience with camera and IMU calibration.
* Experience developing applications and libraries for Windows and Linux.
* Experience using modern software development methods, processes and tools.
* Experience with relevant open source libraries, e.g. OpenCV, Eigen, Ceres.
* Experience with real time vision systems and tracking.
* Understanding of IMU manufacturing processes.
Thales champions inclusion and we believe diversity strengthens the fabric of our culture. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer/AA/Minorities/Females/Veterans/Disabled. Thales is an E-Verify employer.
Thales is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, age or any other characteristic protected by law.
If you need an accommodation or assistance in order to apply for a position with Thales, please call Human Resources at 240-864-7549.