Atlantic 57 is The Atlantic's fast-growing digital agency. We bring the savvy of a world-renowned media company to Fortune 500 companies, public policy institutions, start-ups, and other media brands. Our team of strategists, writers, designers and developers work together to create smart, substantive experiences that help leading brands engage their audiences and move their organizations and ideas forward.
We are looking for a Principal Designer to help us deliver compelling, editorially focused digital products. The Principal Designer will join a small but fast-paced team. You should have strong interpersonal skills and professional experience working on a team with an agile design and development process. You are a good listener, curious, and have a passion for problem solving with a proven ability to prioritize tasks and meet deadlines. This position will report to Atlantic 57's Creative Director.
The ideal candidate will:
* Obsess over beautiful, functional design.
* Conceptualize solutions and design clear, usable interfaces.
* Thrive in a fast-paced work environment and enjoys working on a wide range of clients, as well as collaborating and taking initiative within the team.
* Lead collaboration between front-end development and product design.
* Collaborate with product managers, editors, and strategists to transform product concepts and visions into design prototypes and specifications.
* Work closely with product managers and developers, and actively participate in all stages of the agile process to develop product requirements.
* Create wireframes, mockups, design prototypes and visuals for web products and editorial campaign initiatives.
* Assist in planning and executing user research.
* Be detail-oriented, love to share project insights, and have the ability to work within tight timelines across multiple projects.
Skills and Experience:
* 3 to 6 years of professional experience in web design or designing in a product environment.
* Solid understanding of modular design systems, usability, and UX practices.
* Excellent written and verbal communication skills with experience presenting to external clients, as well as internal stakeholders.
* Proficient in Adobe Creative Suite, Sketch, Invision, and/or other visual design, prototyping, and wireframing tools.
* Familiarity with HTML and CSS a plus.
* Agency, media, or consultancy experience a plus.
* Experience managing a design team, also a plus.
Please include a link to an online portfolio that shows 5+ examples of web/product design. Candidates without an online portfolio or web-specific examples will not be considered.
Atlantic Media Values:
Across Atlantic Media, generally, the firm looks for two "pillar gifts" in you, and everyone else. In all of us, these are more aspirational than actual, but they are central in our intentions -
* Force of Ideas: At the center of Atlantic Media work are the ideas within our writing. We believe that ideas - to the good and not - have consequence. Our highest work is bringing rigor, insight, intellectual honesty, to that ultimate purpose of separating the bad from the good, and giving voice to the latter.
* Spirit of Generosity: Atlantic Media seeks in its ranks a spirit of generosity - a natural disposition in each colleague toward service and selfless conduct. Atlantic Media writing should be cut from the same cloth -critical on the merits but informed by charity and forbearance in measuring motive and personal character.
Atlantic Media is an EOE of Minorities/Women/Vets/Disability.