About Foundation Medicine:
Foundation Medicine began with an ideato simplify the complex nature of cancer genomics, bringing cutting-edge science and technology to everyday cancer care. Our approach generates insights that help doctors match patients to more treatment options and helps accelerate the development of new therapies. Foundation Medicine is the culmination of talented people coming together to realize an important vision, and the work we do every day impacts real lives.
Our Principal Database Engineer is part developer and part database expert. You will spend the majority of your time supporting our AWS database cloud infrastructure and all the databases instances and solutions deployed. You will be the front line in supporting our internal infrastructure and customers.
* Build scalable databases. You'll work closely with Agile development teams, across multiple platforms, such as Oracle, MSSQL, PostgreSQL, MongoDB or DynamoDB to create well optimized, highly available and secure database solutions.
* Build the next phase of our cloud strategy. We want our cloud infrastructure to follow best practices and exemplify what a professional implementation should be as well as bringing on new services to solve business issues when appropriate.
* Monitor and resolve production issues. You'll respond quickly to help resolve database related problems, and minimize any down time or business impact.
* Be passionate about data quality. We want our data to be as accurate as possible, so you'll work to identify and remediate any problems in our data, and work with development teams to suggest solutions to prevent data quality issues.
* Share what you know. We like to learn, and appreciate people who can help raise the bar for team members and others around them. You'll share your knowledge of AWS database and technology solutions to make the team better.
* Help us grow. Our company is growing, domestically and internationally. We leverage several internal and external databases. As we expand, you'll help us mature with Data Governance, International implementation and deployments, integration with internal applications, and creating data sharing opportunities and processes with external customers and partners.
* Create and deploy PostgreSQL and SQL Server database into RDS or Aurora instances / clusters as needed using AWS CloudFormation services into development, QA, staging and production environments.
* Maintain AWS CloudFormation YAML templates and parameter files.
* Explore AWS Services to help the business provide solutions to technical challenges.
* Develop ETL architecture using Python, AWS Glue, and Jenkins / CloudWatch.
* Manage database security for all deployed database instances.
* Use serverless AWS Athena service to provide a platform for accessing non structured and semi-structed data using SQL.
* Providing expertise to engineering teams, for changes during planning through to reviews, to help engineering teams deliver optimal database designs and queries.
* Assist Development teams in developing database functions, scripts, stored procedures, triggers, and views to support application development.
* Maintain GIT repositories.
* Improve performance of database queries owning this process from end-to-end: from isolating problematic queries and developing a fix, to ensuring that the new code is performing as expecting in production.
* Build and incrementally improve tools to:
* Expose database performance problems early in the development cycle.
* Monitor production systems to detect problems early and reliably.
* Create and incrementally improve documentation to reduce tribal knowledge, including:
* Production incident runbooks.
* Database best practices.
* Workflows and database team processes.
* Perform database maintenance and troubleshooting activities.
* Provide technical assistance to resolve all database issues related to performance, capacity and access.
* Ensure data integrity and quality in database systems.
* Maintain standard policies for database development activities.
* Identify and rectify database errors in a timely manner.
* Create physical and logical database models as per the business requirements.
* Manage and monitor performance, capacity and security of database systems.
* Prepare documentations regarding database design, configuration and change management tasks.
* You will be part of a team which rotates on-call coverage to provide business continuity to our internal and external customers.
Qualifications (Position Skill Set):
* B.S. in Computer Science, Software Engineering or equivalent experience.
* 5+ years of experience running PostgreSQL in a production environment as well as solid understanding of PostgreSQL internals.
* 5+ years of query optimization, performance analysis, schema design/review, data modeling, trouble shooting and recovery.
* 3+ year of experience with Software development tools such as GitHub, JIRA, and Confluence for documentation.
* Proficiency in SQL / pgSQL / pgScript.
* Proficiency with the Linux operating system tools and BASH shell scripting.
* Familiarity with distributed production databases.
* Familiarity with cloud tools and cloud environments AWS services: EC2, RDS, S3, Cloud Formation, Aurora, Redshift, and Azure services.
* Experience with json files.
* Experience with all aspects of SDLC.
* Excellent written and verbal English communication skills.
Foundation Medicine is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer and considers all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, ancestry, age, or national origin. Further, qualified applicants will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability or protected veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. See also FMI's EEO Statement and EEO is the Law and Supplement. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know by completing this form. (EOE/AAP Employer)
To all recruitment agencies: Foundation Medicine does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias, Foundation Medicine employees or any other organization location. Foundation Medicine is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.