Store No. 8
PRINCIPAL DATA SCIENTIST
Jetblack is the first portfolio company within Store Nº8, the incubation arm of Walmart, which is focused on transforming the future of retail. Jetblack is a members-only personal shopping and concierge service that combines the convenience of e-commerce with the customized attention of a personal assistant. Our ultimate goal is to create a new standard of consumer shopping with the fastest most delightful end-to-end consumer experience.
Our unique positioning as the first stand-alone company incubated by Walmart gives us access to resources needed to have impact at massive scale and reinvent consumer shopping behaviors. Our journey has just begun and we are building a hard-working passionate founding team to join us in changing the retail landscape and driving technical innovation.
Jenny Fleiss, the CEO and co-founder of Jetblack, previously co-founded Rent the Runway, a business that has transformed the retail industry by making designer clothing rentals a convenient and accessible luxury experience for millions of women.
We're blushing. Some of our favorite press links:
Who will love this job:
* A doer - You thrive in a fast-paced environment; we move quickly and need a teammate who will too
* An organizer - You have superb organizational skills, attention to detail, and ability to outline and execute a plan in a methodical, structured way.
* A creative problem solver - You have the ability to think outside of the box and maintain a flexible approach to problem solving.
* A numbers guru- You're analytical and feel comfortable using numbers to dissect problems, and communicating insights to the broader team.
* A balanced thinker- You're obsessed with the details, but can see the big picture and contribute to ideas on how to make us an even better company than we are today.
We are looking for an experienced Data Scientist who can utilize advanced quantitative and statistical analysis techniques to drive business model innovation for Jetblack, work closely with our senior management to help drive decisions, build data science products, and mentor data scientists and analysts in the art of leveraging data.
The ideal candidate has demonstrated experience building production data science products, is comfortable explaining technical concepts to non-technical audiences, and has a nose for finding opportunities for value. You will be a great fit if you have a strong bias towards action, enjoy finding patterns amidst chaos, and have demonstrated success in using data science to drive business and customer impact. We're looking for someone who has the technical skills to identify the right tool for the job, the pragmatism to apply the 'minimal effective dose', and the interpersonal skills to partner with other teams for successful implementation.
What you'll do:
* Adeptly interpret and utilize a rapidly growing dataset to generate innovative hypotheses & insights
* Quantitatively test hypotheses about user behavior using proprietary datasets; leverage results to improve business metrics at every touch point
* Apply machine learning and optimization algorithms to measure and improve the quality of our customer experience, maximize the efficiency of our business, and minimize risks.
* Build, validate, test and deploy predictive models using machine learning techniques to explain or predict behavior and solve a variety of business and customer problems.
* Identify, collect, and explore the right data used for predictive modeling and algorithm development.
* Own the impact over the model
What you should have:
* 4+ years of industry experience with predictive modeling and statistical analysis techniques in a business environment; preferably with team leadership experience
* Obsessed with data; analytical and rigorous, with a thorough understanding of statistics and machine learning at both a practical and theoretical level
* Masters Degree or PhD (statistics, machine learning, physics, math, systems biology, or highly quantitative fields in social sciences), including 2+ years of graduate-level research experience (or the equivalent)
* Mastery in some or all of the following: SQL, Python, R.
* Experience in experiment design and interpretation is a plus. Experience with different optimization methods is a plus
* Ability to handle multiple concurrent projects while working independently and in teams.
* Effective communication, interpersonal and teamwork skills.
* Ability to work in a fast-paced startup environment.
Pay, perks & such
Our benefit package includes a monthly gym stipend, a generous parental leave program, leading healthcare options, 401k matching, and more! We offer flexible PTO and a great culture filled with work out classes, celebrations, and clubs. We host fireside chats and monthly all-hands meetings. Most importantly, we empower employees to dig in and focus on solving big consumer problems. Join us!
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
About Store No. 8
Store No. 8 is a technology-startup incubator created by Walmart.