What you'll be doing...
As an industry leader, Verizon is at the center of the ecosystem architecture for 5G and Intelligent Edge enabling applications such as IoT, augmented reality, virtual reality, connected vehicles, and more. Our team is looking for a principle engineer who will serve a key role in understanding, optimizing, and consistently maintaining the performance of various cloud data network elements, as well as end-user performance for the national performance data network.The engineer will be playing a key role in defining new KPIs and roadmap for a consumer cloud based product. The candidate would be expected to work with user research, marketing, and engineering teams to ensure product decisions are well supported with market data, new features have KPIs and success criteria is defined and measured.
This will be accomplished by using various software tools to research network performance trends and statistics to find anomalies or other events of interest, guiding resolution of those issues, and provide report summaries from data that is analyzed. Through analysis the individual will identify/eliminate any areas of packet loss, high latency, jitter, or other performance degrading issues. This position will also be responsible for researching and performing analysis, generating routine and ad-hoc reports on network health, collaborating with other groups at various levels and sharing information. Ensure accuracy of the KPIs that are monitored and drive new ones from the various hardware and tool vendors. This individual will also be responsible for driving improvement of customer experience as measured by KPIs, internal and 3rd party baseline.
* Responsible for performance of cloud platforms.
* Identify areas of opportunity for testing and analysis with the goal of improving service performance.
* Look for and exploit opportunities for performance and management automation while performing as a subject matter expert for the technology.
* Point of escalation for the performance of the system.
* Monitor platform efficiencies, for maintaining accurate and up-to-date performance metrics, logging, and alarming as well focusing on operational discipline and security best practices.
* Educate team members about integrating systems collaboratively & efficiently.
* Define goals and conditions for Trials/FOA's and user research for concept evaluation.
* Develop strategic understanding of competition, target markets, customers, and evolving trends.
* Deep packet performance analysis and troubleshooting of IP networks using tools like tcpdump, iperf, tcptrace, or other software tools such as network protocol analyzers (Irisview, Wireshark, Netscout, etc.) and/or network management systems for example SevOne.
What we're looking for...
You will need to have:
* Bachelor's degree or four or more years of work experience.
* Six or more years of cloud work experience.
Even better if you have:
* Master's degree.
* Five or more years of telecommunications and/or Information Systems experience.
* Experience with leadership reporting.
* Experience in reading and writing Shell, Python, or other variations of scripting.
* Knowledge with opensource web scale tools (Kubernetes, Jaeger, Prometheus..etc)
* Understanding of 5G/LTE/IMS call flows.
* Strong TCP/IP network design and packet trace analysis.
* Strong communication, building cross-functional partnerships at multiple levels within the company.
* Strong analytical and problem resolution skills.
* Ability to gather and translate market trends and feedback into successful product initiatives
* OpenStack certified.
* AWS certified.
* Knowledgeable in highly-available geo-redundant solutions.
* Experience working with or studying, network protocols such as SCTP, TCP, UDP, DNS, RTP, RTCP, SIP, and other associated VoIP protocols.
* Willingness to travel.
When you join Verizon...
You'll be doing work that matters alongside other talented people, transforming the way people, businesses and things connect with each other. Beyond powering America's fastest and most reliable network, we're leading the way in broadband, cloud and security solutions, Internet of Things and innovating in areas such as, video entertainment. Of course, we will offer you great pay and benefits, but we're about more than that. Verizon is a place where you can craft your own path to greatness. Whether you think in code, words, pictures or numbers, find your future at Verizon.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We're proud to be an equal opportunity employer- and celebrate our employees' differences,including race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, and Veteran status. Different makes us better.
Verizon Communications is a broadband and telecommunications company operating 4G LTE network, 3G network, and information services.