Principal Business Architect
Req #: WHQ00015841-RT
Location: Chicago, IL US
Job Category:Professional Opportunities
We have a wide variety of career opportunities around the world - come find yours.
The United IT team designs, develops and maintains massively scaling technology solutions that are brought to life with innovative architectures, data analytics and digital solutions.
Job overview and responsibilities
The Principal Business Architect - Business Process bridges IT and the business by identifying impacted capabilities, capturing the current state business process, and defining a future state process model that enables IT to fully understand the business' problem, processes and ensure the right solution is built. Comfortable facilitating process workshops and collaborating with cross functional teams. We help solve complex problems by conducting gap analysis, creating current and future state process models, creating roadmaps to bridge the gap between current to future state, conducting impact analysis, optimizing processes, and defining new business services. Works to develop an integrated view of the enterprise using a repeatable approach, cohesive framework and standard Business Architecture & BPM principles. Facilitate the development of strategic visions and plans that align with enterprise and IT goals. Aligns strategic goals and objectives to organizations, capabilities, and key initiatives.
* Enable IT to understand the business' needs, dependencies and processes through well-constructed deliverables that help ensure the right solution is developed to solve the problem
* Develop well defined business process models with clearly documented accountability to increase efficiency of processes
* Facilitate cross functional process modeling workshops
* Decompose business strategies and initiatives into actionable roadmaps
* Develop and maintain the centralized Business Architecture repository and artifacts
* Collaborate with the IT PMO and Organizational Change Management teams to ensure successful execution
* Collaborate with all stakeholders to evaluate business goals, identify business problems, and propose solutions
* Ability to determine scope, approach, and align expectations with project owners and sponsors
* Ability to work independently and comfortable operating with limited or ambiguous information
* Enable strategic and transitional planning of business processes and information
* Facilitate open communication and fact-based decision making
* Research, identify, and recommend industry best practices for solving business and technology problems
* Clarify, define, coordinate and direct the work of project working teams
* Mentor and provide guidance to other architects
* Collaborate with other architects
* Lead project teams and manage contractors
* Provide thought Leadership on various topics within the Business Architecture
* Facilitate strategic discussions with senior leadership to drive toward alignment and an action plan
* Align the development of core business capabilities, information assets and technology in response to strategic imperatives.
* Collaborate with the business to evaluate business goals, identify business problems, and propose solutions.
* Communication Skills - The ability to communicate verbally and in writing with all levels of employees and management, capable of successful formal and informal communication. Includes facilitating large group workshops and asking the right questions to extract the right information at the right level of detail.
* Creativity & Innovation - The ability to define new, original ideas and successfully implement them across an organization. Involves an ability to think "outside-in", assess conventional work products and processes, define new concepts, and manage change across the organization in implementing them
* Persuasion - The ability to engage and enroll others in an initiative - both individually and in a group setting. Involves articulating the new possibility for others - and leading and engaging others in direct, positive, meaningful conversations
* "Big Picture" Thinker - The ability to maintain perspective and establish context. Involves being able to recognize patterns and predict outcomes - This is and leverage them to redirect personal and/or team work effort in the optimal direction
* Strategic - The ability to visualize and plan for outcomes in the future, and sustain work in achieving the outcomes. Involves an ability to support short-term trade-offs to achieve longer term gain
* Integrity and Trust - Involves being widely trusted, being seen as a direct, truthful individual, can present the unvarnished truth in an appropriate and helpful manner, keeps confidences, admits mistakes, and doesn't misrepresent him/herself for personal gain
* Business Acumen - The ability to make insightful, successful business decisions and tradeoffs assessing the internal and external business landscape, strategies, opportunities, strengths and weaknesses. Involves knowledge of the industry - and awareness of the key trends shaping the future of the corporation
* Prioritization - The ability to successfully manage multiple competing work efforts across multiple teams. Involves assessing impacts, importance and urgency and setting direction and expectations - to meet or exceed expectations for timeliness and quality of work
* Expertise in business process analysis and modeling (e.g., Business Analyst, Process Engineer)
Leading and facilitating large workshops and meetings
* Bachelor's degree, preferably in Industrial Engineering, Business or Information Technology or equivalent experience, education, or training
* Five to seven years of related business work experience OR Three+ years applicable experience in Business Architecture/Business Process Management (BPM)
* Must be legally authorized to work in the United States for any employer without sponsorship
* Successful completion of interview required to meet job qualification
* Reliable, punctual attendance is an essential function of the position
* Lean or Six Sigma certifications
* Master's degree
* Management consulting experience
Equal Opportunity Employer - Minorities/Women/Veterans/Disabled/LGBT
About United Airlines
United Airlines is an airline operating a domestic and international route network.