Principal Backend Engineer - Deliveries
Get to know the team:
Deliveries team was built upon the foundation that we could provide the most reliable, affordable and efficient logistics services to our customers and business partners.
The day-to-day activities:
* Design, write and deliver software to improve the availability, scalability, latency, and efficiency of Grab services
* Build and scale our stream processing platform using the latest open-source technologies.
* Build data pipelines that clean, transform and aggregate data from many different sources including but not limited to clickstream data, consumer behavior data and transaction data.
* Provide thought leadership to the entire team on how data can be stored and processed efficiently, reliably, quickly, and at scale.
* Work with engineering team to create new design/architectures geared towards scale and performance
* Participate in code and design reviews to maintain our high development standards
* Engage in service capacity and demand planning, software performance analysis, tuning and optimization
* Work with product and experience teams to define and prototype feature specifications
* Work with infrastructure team in building and scaling back-end services as well as performing root cause analysis investigations
* Collaborate across stakeholders such as data scientists, application developers, and department heads to deliver a technical solution that meets their unique needs.
The must haves:
* Degree in Computer Science or equivalent with 5+ years of experience in commercial software development in large distributed systems
* Strong knowledge of data structures, algorithms, distributed systems, and asynchronous architectures
* Hands-on coder who has built backend services that handle high volume traffic.
* Experience working with real-time streaming solutions using Kafka or AWS Kinesis.
* Experience publishing data via streams.
* Familiarity with running web services at scale; understanding of systems internals and networking are a plus
* Strong understanding of system performance and scaling
* Expert in at least 1 of the following languages: Python, Go, Java, Scala.
* 3-5 years of hands-on working experience with Hadoop ecosystem (e.g. Spark/Storm/Hbase etc.), data modeling and using various database methodologies such relational, columnar and NoSQL.
* Possess excellent communication, sharp analytical abilities with proven design skills, able to think critically of the current system in terms of growth and stability
Get to know our Team:
When you're an engineer at Grab, you are part of the heart and soul of the company. Our passion is anchored in the work that we do, and this is reflected in the impact we make on millions of lives on a daily basis. Our team is empowered by creating amazing services and tools that serve millions of passengers, driving partners, and fellow grabbers.