Verizon Media Group
It takes powerful technology to connect our brands and partners with an audience of 1 billion. Nearly half of Verizon Media employees are building the code and platforms that help us achieve that. Whether you're looking to write mobile app code, engineer the servers behind our massive ad tech stacks, or develop algorithms to help us process 4 trillion data points a day, what you do here will have a huge impact on our business-and the world. Want in? As Verizon's media unit, our brands like Yahoo, TechCrunch and HuffPost help people stay informed and entertained, communicate and transact, while creating new ways for advertisers and partners to connect. With technologies like XR, AI, machine-learning, and 5G, we're transforming media for tomorrow, too. We're creators and coders, dreamers and doers creating what's next in content, advertising and technology.
VMG's Network Engineering team is looking for a Backbone Engineer to be part of the team that designs the next generation of our global infrastructure. This person will work with internal and external customers to gather requirements and provide design solutions to address our ever growing network. This position requires a highly technical person who has a very deep understanding of routing protocols, in-depth knowledge of the current interconnection and peering landscape, good operational experience and the ability to isolate, analyze and resolve issues.
* Analyze business requirements and translate them into actionable technical requirements
* Identify/evaluate new features and enhancements, then work to develop and operationalize them
* Participate in and/or lead vendor evaluations and architectural reviews
* Serve as the Tier III response for all escalated network issues and customer complaints
* Create and define network requirements for new products, including technical documentation for all relevant processes and technologies.
* Create and/or improve the tools that provide insight into availability and performance of our global network
* Create the SOP's and automate repeatable operational work
* Create and assist in the development of automation tools and processes that proactively monitor the health of the network, respond to events, and prevent their recurrences along with driving down time to resolution
* Create and leverage telemetry, analytics and learning pipelines to better monitor, measure, and debug the network
* Create and leverage network tooling to identify and mitigate network anomalies
* Responsible for identifying problem areas in a proactive way and developing solutions to meet the challenges of a global network
* Experience with IP network design at large scale, multi-vendor environments, including one or more of Junos, Cisco, Arista, & Quagga/Bird
* Strong working knowledge of all OSI Layers focusing on the network stack - TCP/IP, HTTP, DNS, MPLS, and anycast concepts
* Knowledge of current networking systems including routers, switches, firewalls, VPNs, load-balancers and all IP-based protocols
* Proficient with Linux, open source projects, agile development frameworks and best practices
* Generalized network diagramming and network documentation knowledge required
* Working knowledge of DevOps or SRE methodologies
* Experience with version Control using Git/Github
* Highly responsible, self-motivated, and able to work with minimal supervision
* Progressive mindset, forward thinking, desire to make game changing transformations to non-optimal operational workflow
* Willing to take ownership of complex problems and see them through to resolution
* Desire to provide mentoring to junior members of the team to improve time to productivity
* Ability to handle multiple tasks under pressure and prioritize projects and establish schedules for their timely completion
* Resource oriented, with the ability to adapt to a constantly changing technical environment
* Energetic and fast paced individual who thrives in a high growth, entrepreneurial environment
* Excellent organizational and follow up skills
* Strong communicator with the ability to build relationships at all levels of an organization
Verizon Media is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to, and will not be discriminated against based on age, race, gender, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, disability or any other protected category. Verizon Media is dedicated to providing an accessible environment for all candidates during the application process and for employees during their employment. If you need accessibility assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability, please email ApplicantAccommodation@verizonmedia.com or call 408-336-1409. Emails/calls received for non-disability related issues, such as following up on an application, will not receive a response.
Currently work for Verizon Media? Please apply on our internal career site.
About Verizon Media Group
Verizon Media Group is a diverse house of more than 50 media and technology brands that engages more than a billion people around the world.