This position performs the tasks necessary to develop and implement new Point-of-Sale solutions into Costco's warehouse environments. This includes technical knowledge of POS hardware, configuration, and programming in order to develop and apply these solutions. This position is responsible for identifying tasks required to evaluate promising technologies and determine their applicability to Costco's environments. In some cases, this position is responsible for initiating, coordinating and implementing proof-of-concepts of new technologies to demonstrate viability and business value.
Job Duties/ Essential Functions
* Creates or modifies programs consistent with department procedures, philosophies, and standards * Installs, configures, and supports POS applications * Initiates, develops, updates new and or existing documentation, processes, service tickets and training * Works with Costco's business relations teams to develop strong understanding of the business area being supported * Designs specific applications as assigned, including traceability back to requirements * Troubleshoots and corrects programming errors as assigned * Creates test scripts and executes adequate unit and system testing while providing necessary test documentation * Provides mentoring and support to both project and area team members * Stays current on industry and technology directions by establishing mechanisms for scanning the technology horizon * Creates strong relationships with vendor's product development groups * Creates strategies for supporting and retiring old systems while deploying new ones
* Assists in other areas of the department as necessary * Assists in other departments of the company as necessary
Ability to operate vehicles, equipment or machinery
* 5 + years' experience programming with deep Operating System knowledge working at least two of the following operating systems: Linux, UNIX, Windows, 4690, MQ, System messaging, Relational database solutions * Thorough understanding of OS security and administration of real time systems * 3 + years proficient programming in Java * 2 + years proficient programming in C and C++ * Proficient OS scripting with at least two of the following: Linux/UNIX(shell Scripting), BASH, Python, Windows/4690 cmd/bat, SQL, Powershell, batch and general scripting, Windows imaging * Understanding of dot net framework applications and window operating systems * Proficient with client web services, browser and xml * Working knowledge of networking and protocols * Strong knowledge of system security, certificate management and operations (SSL, SSH, encryption) * Must have completed at least one large program from start to finish on their own * Must have completed multiple medium programs start to finish on their own including utility programs * Must have a demonstrated ability to drive, design, test, debug and deploy current and future software solutions * Secure coding understanding and cryptography standards * Strong understanding and demonstrated of knowledge change and version control * Strong understanding of evolving industry standards and new technologies * Strong understanding and working knowledge of PCI, SOX and Data Governance * Must possess excellent analytical skills and demonstrated ability to effectively troubleshoot and provide solutions * Must possess demonstrated strong communication skills, both verbal and written * Must be responsible, conscientious and possess a passion for excellence * Must be a self-starter, with the ability to work independently, with different groups and teams, utilizing solid communication skills * Must possess strong work ethic, demonstrated attention to detail and excellent time management skills * Must be available to work as needed to honor project commitments, meet deadlines, and perform on-call support as needed (nights and weekends) * Must be available to support the business as needed including nights, weekends, after hours and on-call
* Degree in computer science or related technical field preferred * Experience in legacy languages such as IBM C-BASIC is welcome but not limited to * Willing to learn new programming or scripting languages * Background in accounting and/or POS a plus * Demonstrated knowledge of Costco business areas including - Buying, Membership and Warehouse Front End * Successful internal candidates will have spent one year or more on their current team
* Management will review the Job Analysis for this position prior to a job offer.
Use the link below to upload all required documents to
Apart from any religious or disability considerations, open availability is needed to meet the needs of the business. If hired, you will be required to provide proof of authorization to work in the United States. Applicants and employees for this position will not be sponsored for work authorization, including, but not limited to H1-B visas.