What You'll Do
The Platform Engineer, a member of our Data Science & Engineering team, works on back-end systems using technologies such as Java, Python, Amazon Web Services (AWS) and Containers (Docker). A platform engineer focuses and is proficient in software development, cloud solutions, and big data. Candidates are self-directed and passionate about developing in a fast-paced, small, agile environment. Engineers understand how to build software in the cloud using technologies like Terraform, Kubernetes, and CI pipelines. They also work closely with Data Scientists to bring to models into production. The ideal candidate is an innovative problem solver with demonstrable success using a variety of open-source technologies.
* Application Development
* Design and develop web-services and applications using Java, Python, and frameworks like Spring Boot
* Develop using a test-driven Continuous Integration (CI) approach
* Work closely with data scientists bring models into production environment.
* Familiarity with the AWS and the capabilities of the platform.
Maintenance & Support
* Teams operate under the model you build it, you deploy it, you own it
* Provide support and maintenance to applications owned by the team
* Automate and look to continuously improve applications so as to minimize on-going support
* Participates in code reviews and peer review work
* Works across teams to provide technical guidance of design and best-practices as technical leader and an individual contributor
* Understands latest development trends and emerging cloud features and looks to incorporate them into development solutions
* Proactively looks to solve problems and bugs and raise them up to team leads
What You'll Need
* Bachelor's degree, preferably in Computer Science or other related field
* REST based web-services frameworks such as Spring Boot, Jersey, Flask, etc.
* Unit testing, integration testing, and continuous integration (Jenkins)
* Containerizing applications with Docker
* Knowledge and demonstrated ability with Object Oriented Programming (OOP)
* 4+ years of web-service software development experience
* Experience with infrastructure-as-code
* Assist engineering teams in solving difficult technical challenges, often coding the solution yourself
* Understands python as many machine-learning models are built using python tools
* Familiarity with terraform or cloud formation for automating provisioning of deployment of cloud infrastructure
* Experience with cloud BigData tools like Elastic Map Reduce (EMR) and Athena
* Used Jupyter notebooks in prototyping or collaboration with Data Scientists
* Preferred experience with Git, Maven, and Kubernetes
* Experience integrating data science models and help ushering them into production
* Ability to travel to Madison, WI as needed
Who You Are
* Ability to shift priorities quickly and efficiently, and easily adapt to change
* Initiative, results-oriented drive and a solid work ethic requiring minimal direction
* Strong attention to detail with a passion for code quality and design
* Excellent time management and prioritization skills; ability to prioritize and manage competing tasks simultaneously in a fast-paced, time-sensitive environment
* Assertive personality with a solid work ethic and initiative
What You'll Get
* Ownership and challenge in your work
* Collaborate with intelligent and highly skilled coworkers
* Competitive compensation
* Excellent benefits, including health, dental, vision, disability, 401(k) and life insurance
* Generous paid time off policy including paid parental leave
* Company Culture that is Committed to Work-Life Balance for each and every employee
* Casual office environment with a startup feel - We have a particular fondness for Peanut M&Ms
* Fantastic Downtown Location connected to the Merchandise Mart
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
We connect brands with their opportunity audiences.