Performance Engineering Architect
Wayfair is all about speed. Speed to value. Speed of delivery. Speed of our systems. We're looking for an experienced performance architect to join our Development Platform teams and be part of an innovative, passionate group dedicated to making development an enjoyable experience. In this role you will be responsible for driving performance and stability improvements of various applications, the architecture and integrations to ensure optimal end user experience by working closely with Application development, SRE, Database and Data analysis teams. You will also be responsible for monitoring application performance trends (cloud & on-Prem) and identifying opportunities to improve performance and scalability. You will also drive adoption of reliable APM technologies and/or assist with adding spans in OpenTracing and integrate the findings with the performance engineering platform. In addition, you will provide high level guidance for the design and development of automated performance tests - load, stress, reliability, failover testing as well as analysis, optimization, and providing performance tuning recommendations to development teams at Wayfair. You will educate other teams on best practices regarding performance (load, stress, reliability) testing, teach them to execute on your designs, help them leverage both internal and external tools to optimize their code and infrastructure. And you will help develop our performance testing framework/platform to enable developers to self-service on their performance needs. You are among those who work quickly to resolve high impact, challenging, engineering problems while continuously raising the standard of quality, performance and reliability in our applications and infrastructure.
What You'll Do
* Collaborate with team leads and other architects to develop end to end performance engineering strategies and approaches
* Help define SLIs and SLOs for individual software components of our tech stack
* Influence and apply the latest APM/tracing tools and work collaboratively with development teams to enable quicker resolution of performance issues
* Assist application teams with identifying performance bottlenecks in containerized apps running on Kubernetes (on-prem and GKE)
* Demonstrate outstanding communication, flexibility, teamwork and leadership
* Provide technical recommendations for system performance measurement and analysis, scalable architecture and profiling/troubleshooting techniques
What You'll Need
* At least 15 years of experience working as a performance engineer
* 5+ years of experience with high-traffic, large-scale distributed systems, client-server architectures, cloud DevOps (Kubernetes)
* Solid understanding of On Prem to Cloud evolution as well as hands on experience working with public cloud (GCP/AWS)
* Understanding of software architecture to help software developers to leverage the platform with reliability
* Experience with open source load testing tools such as Apache JMeter, httperf etc and APM, infrastructure monitoring tools like DataDog, NewRelic, AppDynamics
* Software automation development skills (at least one) - Python, GO, Java, Ruby, C# or PHP
* Experience with SQL databases - querying, profiling and performance tuning
* Infrastructure as code toolsets - Puppet, Terraform, Packer, Consul, Vault
Wayfair is one of the world's largest online destinations for the home. Whether you work in our global headquarters in Boston or Berlin, or in our warehouses or offices throughout the world, we're reinventing the way people shop for their homes. Through our commitment to industry-leading technology and creative problem-solving, we are confident that Wayfair will be home to the most rewarding work of your career. If you're looking for rapid growth, constant learning, and dynamic challenges, then you'll find that amazing career opportunities are knocking. No matter who you are, Wayfair is a place you can call home. We're a community of innovators, risk-takers, and trailblazers who celebrate our differences, and know that our unique perspectives make us stronger, smarter, and well-positioned for success. We value and rely on the collective voices of our employees, customers, community, and suppliers to help guide us as we build a better Wayfair - and world - for all. Every voice, every perspective matters. That's why we're proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship status, marital status, disability, gender identity, gender expression, veteran status, or genetic information.
Wayfair is an online retailer of home products for bedrooms, living rooms, kitchen and dining, home entertainment, bathrooms and more.