In a nutshell:
IDEO Chicago is seeking an experienced Organization Designer who has created and implemented digital or technology solutions either as a consultant or in-house within a large organization. This role requires a rare blend of real-world experience and theory, a real passion for challenging received wisdom, and the right mix of boardroom polish and grassroots hustle. You will work as a member of IDEO's interdisciplinary project teams to help our clients achieve bold and meaningful digital change by testing and evolving digital strategies and solutions that transform organizations and their ways of working.
Why is this role important to IDEO's work?
We believe that digital transformation happens by movement, not mandate, and above all else, we need you to roll up your sleeves and inspire action throughout our clients' iterative change journeys.
In the past, we've helped clients address design challenges such as:
How might we...
...develop the future capabilities, competencies, and critical roles that will enable an organization's 5-10 year business strategies?
...establish and evolve minimum viable organizations in line with minimum viable products or services?
...design and activate organizational interventions to encourage collaboration across siloed, global companies?
You can read about our organizational design case studies here.
What does IDEO offer you?
IDEO is a place unlike any other. It's a place where you can solve diverse, complex challenges for our clients or the organization, alongside thoughtful, intelligent individuals who lead with curiosity, empathy, and optimism. We work hard, but we also intentionally craft moments that allow our community to pause, create, and connect. We encourage our community to bring their whole selves to work, respect the need for work-life balance, and allow for autonomy in the design process and your career.
Once here you will:
Your role as an Organizational Designer will vary from project to project, relationship to relationship, but may include:
* Helping clients to shape and act on change strategies for complex organizational challenges by using digital technologies to capitalize on value-creating opportunities
* Experience as a change agent in scaling digital transformations related to digital or technology and their integrative, iterative ways of working
* Create digital solutions that help organizations achieve new business strategies, all with an eye for organizational design
* Help to turn ideas and innovation into digital solutions that help drive an organization's strategy and structure to the next level
* Ability to translate digital behavioral to insights and communicate these to your collaborators to inspire design solutions
* Crafting a research plan comprised of interviews and analogous inspiration to understand an organization's working dynamics and surface opportunity areas and new ideas for change
* Shaping and acting on change strategies that start small and soon, but lead to long-term impact at scale
* Developing experimental approaches for our clients to prototype new ways of working in their organization
* Designing internal tools or processes that address strategic and organization issues and foster new ways of working
* Managing a product or service design project, including scope, timelines, budgets and client expectations, all with an eye for organizational chang
* Shaping IDEO's perspective on organization design. We like to push the edge in all aspects of our work, and we are building our own perspective on how to activate change within organizations
Relevant experience and mindset: We'd be excited if you have:
* 5 - 7 years of organization design and strategic experience working on innovation in large business and corporate environments
* Experience designing and implementing digitally-oriented transformative efforts within organizations, with an emphasis on practicality over theory
* Bachelor's and/or master's degree in a related field, including but not limited to business administration, organizational psychology, behavioral science, or design.
* Demonstrated fluency as a practitioner (not just a facilitator) of human-centered design
Bonus points if you've:
* Successfully launched and/or led a corporate innovation lab or program
* Rolled out digital transformation strategies and/or agile development methods at scale
* Worked in corporate strategy, business operations, or strategy consulting
* Applied behavioral economics principles in past projects
You should be able to share stories of design solutions that have influenced new ways of working within an organization.
To apply, please submit your resume and cover letter.
Equal Opportunity Employer
IDEO is an equal opportunity employer; applicants are considered for all roles without regard to race, color, religious creed, sex, national origin, citizenship status, age, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, marital, parental, veteran or military status, unfavorable military discharge, or any other status protected by applicable federal, state or local law.