Join the team that is expanding the human possibilities of the connected world.
Nokia is a global leader in the technologies that connect people and things. Powered by the innovation of Bell Labs and Nokia Technologies, the company is at the forefront of creating and licensing the technologies that are increasingly at the heart of our connected lives.
With operations in more than 130 countries, Nokia is the first truly global communications solutions provider, offering the most complete end-to-end portfolio of solutions and services in the industry. The Optical Networking Business Unit is the world's number one producer of high-speed optical networking equipment with over 600 customers worldwide. The Nokia 1830 PSS team is expanding and looking for highly motivated professionals to join us to further enhance network flexibility and operational automation in a very fast growing and competitive environment.
Job Position Summary Description:
As an integral part of the 1830 Optical Networking Product Line Management team, a self-motivated, accountable, results-oriented standards professional will drive innovation in defining the features and functions of leading-edge optical transport products as part of the Nokia optical transport networking portfolio, and work with R&D and regional business development teams to create networks using those products.
Key Responsibilities / Functions
Work with Product Line Managers (PLMs) and R&D teams to identify standardization strategic objectives that support Nokia product strategies. Develop and regularly review standardization strategic thrusts relevant to Optical Transport Infrastructure, Ethernet, and Physical Layer topics consistent with Nokia product directions.
* Develop, internally review, and externally advocate for contributions developed to support the standardization strategic thrusts. Provide damage control regarding standardization initiatives of Nokia competitors that are incompatible with Nokia product directions.
* Participate in meetings of ITU-T Study Group 15, and as necessary, the Optical Internetworking Forum (OIF) PLL Optical and Protocol tracks and the IEEE 802.3 Working Group.
* Provide internal reports and briefings on standardization results, progress and directions to R&D and PLM.
* Provide coordination across an extended team of standards participants across the optical networking business unit, and other business units.
* Build trusted relationships and be able to influence key executives.
Qualifications (Education, Technical Skills/Knowledge):
* Degree in computer, electrical, software, or systems engineering, or physics, computer science, or relevant related field is required, graduate degree preferred.
* 10+ years of telecom product experience in either network operator or equipment supplier.
* 10+ years of product management experience, or consulting engineering/network architect experience with a demonstrated understanding of market requirements for Optical, Ethernet and/or IP/MPLS networking solutions.
* Business acumen.
* Proficient with optical networking technologies (OTN, High-Speed Ethernet, FlexE) and knowledgeable in current and emerging standards in both packet and optical domains (IEEE, OIF, ITU-T).
* Basic understanding in optical networking physical layers: CWDM, DWDM, coherent modulation.
* Excellent understanding of the industry landscape, including customers, potential partners, direct competitors and competing and emerging technologies and architectures.
* Experience and demonstrated ability in identifying changing business models, and ability to associate these to changing solution/product and architecture requirement.
* Ability to work collaboratively across many teams within the organization including business development/technical sales, product management, marketing, R&D.
* Solid technical and operational understanding of service provider networking environments.
* Excellent written and verbal communications skills: ability to communicate technology strategy and architecture approach to engineers, executives, and customers.
* Ability and flexibility to develop and deliver presentations to a wide variety of audiences during standards meetings, conferences, trade shows.
* Strong consulting skills to work with both external and internal customers and suppliers, sometimes for understanding and sometimes for driving product and network architectures, features, constraints, and limits.
* Proficiency in conflict management and negotiation, with abilities to influence and lead others.
* Strong organizational and project management skills; autonomy and ability to manage competing demands
* High energy; willingness to work in a fast-paced and dynamic environment.
* Ability to work in both high-level, strategic context and pragmatic execution of specific projects with practical constraints on network functional requirements and schedules and product or feature constraints.
* Ability to forge trusted relationships using an open and respectful communication and collaboration style.
Nokia is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to diversity and inclusion. At Nokia, employment decisions are made regardless of sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, race, ethnic origin, color, creed, religion, national origin, citizenship, age, marital status, physical or mental disability, genetic information or ancestry, protected Veteran or military status, or other characteristics protected by law.