What you'll be doing...
As a Network System Assurance Engineer, you will operate, administer, maintain, and evolve our highly complex core network to support our customers' increasing data needs. You'll play a key role in evolving our network through virtualization and software defined networks to support our goal of reducing capital and operational expenses. Other responsibilities include:
* Providing the initial support for data performance issues that may arise by utilizing alerts and tools and coordination of internal and external teams to triage if potential customer issues are found.
* Taking ownership of any issue found related to network tools that are found in need of resolution.
* Developing scripts and automation tasks as well as use directional tools to increase team efficiency.
* Implementing, documenting, monitoring, and optimizing the elements and configurations necessary to provide wireless data network services for the data distribution locations in the SC sub-region.
* Working with our national and regional engineering teams to ensure coordination of all requirements associated with wireless data network services.
* Providing a disciplined project management approach to network modifications and growth, taking accountability for installation oversight, project scheduling, pre/post network testing, network directives, and preventative maintenance activities.
* Proactively monitoring and reporting on resource utilization and equipment status to assure optimum network availability and reliability as demanded by company performance standards.
* Utilizing documented information such as IP addresses, port assignments, and connection information for routing and switching equipment across multiple inventory systems.
* Reviewing MOPs and network change controls to ensure modifications to configurations are compliant to our network security, reliability, and control standards.
* Providing assistance to national network operations, system performance, and data services engineers/maintenance in the resolution of technical and customer problems.
* Managing outage bridges and engage vendors and other internal teams for outage support.
* Preparing detailed shift and outage reports for management review.
* Developing methods to improve the analysis, alarming, and monitoring of data network elements.
* Providing technical support to network assurance teams for troubleshooting network issues and training on new technologies.
* Participating in new technology and product trials, ensuring timely product rollout and testing.
* Identifying key performance indicators (KPIs) and propose enhancements.
* Managing vendors to ensure the timely delivery of new equipment, features and product upgrades.
* Working independently and making sound technical judgements in a fast-paced environment.
* Providing supplemental building and hardware support to the system assurance teams when needed.
* Serving as part of an on-call rotation based on location assigned.
* Working overnight shifts for maintenance window work when required.
* Leveraging automation skills and coding skills to create efficiencies in procedures and increase visibility to network conditions.
Verizon Communications (formerly Bell Atlantic) is a company providing communications, information, and entertainment products and services.