What you'll be doing...
The Engineer is responsible for the advanced configuration and operating system upgrades of Carrier-Class Cisco and Juniper equipment that tie together a complex, multivendor nationwide data network. The Technician will also be responsible for working on up and coming virtualization technologies.
* Work third shift, ten hour days, four day work weeks (Monday - Thursday nights).
* Plan, prioritize, and schedule maintenance window changes with many groups both inside and outside the office with minimum supervision during the daytime and then implement these changes during scheduled maintenance windows while adhering to corporate standards.
* Equipment includes but is not limited to eNSE Fabric comprised of Nexus 7K and Nexus 9K, Carrier-Class Cisco Routers running IOS-XR, Carrier-Class Juniper Routers, load balancers from both F5 Networks / A10 Networks and virtualization technologies.
* Implement configuration changes and operating system upgrades for the directional Intelligent Edge Networks, including but not limited to: SAP ENSE Fabric, Access ENSE fabric, ISP, NNI and Core connectivity leveraging modern automation tools like Python, NSO, DCNM, VTS, Pronghorn, and Nuage.
* Both turn up new and disconnect older circuits of varying technologies and bandwidths (Frame-Relay, Metro-E, Gigabit, Hundred-Gigabit) using procedures written by both an internal engineering group and outside vendors. The work is done in parallel with other internal groups.
* Utilize network monitoring tools, during maintenance windows, to ensure that all monitored network equipment is functioning in accordance with company standards and policies, both before and after changes are made.
* Engage in both intra and interdepartmental communication to plan, schedule, prioritize, and prepare for maintenance window activities.
What we're looking for...
You'll need to have:
* Associate's degree or two or more years of work experience.
* Three or more years of relevant work experience.
* Willingness to work a flexible schedule, including nights and weekends as necessary.
Even better if you have:
* A degree.
* CCNA or CCNP certifications.
* Experience with virtualization technology in a corporate environment.
* Knowledge of Cloud Computing (VMWare, Openstack, AWS, Azure, or related). Experience with data center and cloud technologies such as Linux OS, VMware (dependencies) Open-Stack, Ansible, Chef/Puppet, Docker, Microsoft SQL Server, MySQL.
* Five or more years of experience that involved working on large, complex data networks.
* Experience working with data networking gear and troubleshooting data networking problems involving: TCP/IP, BGP, MP-BGP, OSPF, MPLS, IPv4, IPv6, L2VPN, L3VPN, SIP, and other advanced LAN/WAN technologies and concepts.
* Ability to pay close attention to details.
* Experience with planning for multiple technical projects AND implementing them by working with people using multiple lines of communications (phone, e-mail, face to face, etc.) in order to deliver them on time.
* Ability to clearly communicate ideas in order to lead phone calls to implement changes and thoroughly test for any residual issues afterwards during maintenance window hours.
* Knowledge of 3G and 4G call flow.
* Problem solving and leadership abilities.
* Strong work ethic and work extremely well in a team environment.
When you join Verizon...
You'll be doing work that matters alongside other talented people, transforming the way people, businesses and things connect with each other. Beyond powering America's fastest and most reliable network, we're leading the way in broadband, cloud and security solutions, Internet of Things and innovating in areas such as, video entertainment. Of course, we will offer you great pay and benefits, but we're about more than that. Verizon is a place where you can craft your own path to greatness. Whether you think in code, words, pictures or numbers, find your future at Verizon.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We're proud to be an equal opportunity employer- and celebrate our employees' differences,including race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, and Veteran status. Different makes us better.
Verizon Communications (formerly Bell Atlantic) is a company providing communications, information, and entertainment products and services.