Ropes & Gray
This is an engineer position in the IT Department and is responsible for the building and maintenance of the firm's data networks. Responsibilities include ensuring the stability, integrity, and performance of these network services. This is achieved through planning, designing, and developing local area networks (LANs), metropolitan area networks (MANs), wide area networks (WANs), wireless networks, and security infrastructure across the organization for high availability. This individual will assist in the analysis and resolution of network, wireless, VOIP, and video hardware and software problems in a timely and accurate fashion based on skilled assessment of issues.
* Participate in the design and architecture of the firm's data network environment.
* Participate in the design, deployment, and maintenance of various network systems and components including: routers, switches, internet services, wide area network services, wireless networks, VPNs, firewalls, load balancers, DNS, DHCP, traffic acceleration/optimization, video networks and related infrastructure, VOIP network and related infrastructure, security, and performance management and monitoring systems.
* Configure networks to ensure their smooth and reliable operation for fulfilling business objectives, processes and uptime SLAs.
* Evaluate emerging technologies and recommend purchase, development, or enhancement of network hardware and software.
* Establish performance standards, processes, policies, and procedures.
* Provide technical support for network elements and systems.
* Monitor network performance and troubleshoot problem areas proactively and reactively as needed.
* Ensure all Network Infrastructure tickets are handled according to the established SLA's.
* Collaborate with executive management and department leaders to assess near- and long-term network capacity needs.
* Create and maintain documentation for network architecture and network configuration.
* Assures knowledge transfer for new systems introduced and installed.
* Coordinate with other members of the firm for business continuance and disaster avoidance/recovery programs.
* Must demonstrate the ability to maintain strict confidentiality of the firm's internal and personnel affairs.
* Ability to influence at all levels of the organization.
* Must be a self-starter who understands the details within a much larger content.
* Ability to work effectively in a culturally and educationally diverse environment.
* Ability to work in a teamwork/collaborative style and environment.
* Must be creative and flexible in order to respond quickly and positively to shifting demands and opportunities; ability to work under tight deadlines and handle multiple, detailed tasks.
* Must be a team-oriented person who can share information, goals, opportunities, successes and failures with the appropriate parties.
* Ability to organize, plan and carry out multiple related activities.
* Must pay attention to details and have the ability to follow up and follow through.
* Ability to work effectively in a multi-office environment across time zones.
* Some travel to other offices will be necessary (approximately once per month)
* Regular on-call rotation duties.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS REQUIRED:
* Bachelor's Degree or equivalent experience
* 3-5 years experience in network field
* Proven experience and success with planning, installing and managing networks including LAN, MAN, WAN, Optical Networking, DWDM, Wi-Fi, WAN Optimizers, network taps, load balancers, NAC, and security (firewalls, VPN, DMZ, and IDS) infrastructure.
* Proven experience with network capacity planning, network security principles, and general network management best practices.
* Strong hands-on knowledge of LAN/WAN protocols and technologies including BGP, OSPF, MPLS, VPLS, Ethernet, Spanning Tree, TCP/IP, SNMP, CDP, LLDP, SIP, H.323, QoS, Multicast, Anycast, 802.1x, 802.1Q, Radius, DHCP, DNS, HSRP, GLBP, VPC, LACP, DSCP, ITD, IPSec and Wi-Fi.
* Strong working knowledge of Cisco networking equipment (routers, switches, firewalls, NAC), Microsoft certificate servers, F5, Infoblox, Aruba Networks, Checkpoint, Gigamon, Silverpeak, and Riverbed.
* Proven experience configuring Cisco switches, routers and firewalls.
* Experience working with carriers to troubleshoot Internet, MAN and WAN circuit problems.
* Familiar with packet capture and analysis tools.
* Preferred certifications, not required: CCNA/CCNP, CCDA, CCSP
* Strong verbal and interpersonal skills
* Strong analytical and problem solving skills
* Strong customer service skills
* Strong team skills
* Strong project management skills
* Experience working in a multi-office/multi-national environment
Normal office environment. Incumbent is expected to work the hours necessary to fulfill the responsibilities of the position.
The above is intended to describe the general content of and requirements for the performance of this job. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of essential functions, responsibilities or requirements.
About Ropes & Gray
Ropes and Gray is an international law firm offering a diverse range of consultancy services for legal and business needs.