Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where we apply science and technology to make the world a safer place; now one of 2019 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
We have an opening for a Network Engineer to ensure our network architecture and operations are optimal and secure by collaborating with our cyber security team to implement comprehensive network security architectures and security policies, monitor network security infrastructures, and respond to network related incidents. You will install, troubleshoot, and maintain network hardware, software, security policies, and complex network infrastructures. This position is in the Enterprise Infrastructure Services Division (EISD) within the Computing Directorate, supporting the LivIT program.
This position will be filled at either the SES.2 or SES.3 level depending on your qualifications. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if you are selected at the higher level.
* Provide advanced architectural, operational, and troubleshooting support specifically for network security and firewall configurations as well as support for edge, core, distribution and access layers.
* Perform complex network administration to configure, operate, and maintain switches, routers, firewalls, and other network equipment.
* Independently evaluate, recommend, and implement network security solutions and equipment to meet customer requirements.
* Specify, configure, install, and troubleshoot network equipment and monitoring tools.
* Collaborate with management, customers, and team members to ensure completion of project deliverables.
* Provide advanced technical support, development, and maintenance of network configurations aiming to reduce the effort needed to deploy and maintain systems and expertise regarding networks toward long-term objectives for server consolidation, virtualization, and compliance with industry and cyber security standards.
* Train and mentor less experienced team members in network security and responsibility.
* Perform other duties as assigned.
In Addition at the SES.3 Level
* Design highly advanced, customized networks, collaborating with customers.
* Diagnose and resolve highly complex network problems.
* Develop complex security, monitoring, and management solutions for program specific needs.
* Bachelor's degree in computer science, electrical engineering, or related field or an equivalent combination of education, and related experience.
* Broad experience with network security, network system design, configuration, implementation, and operation within the datacenter, campus, and internet environments.
* Comprehensive knowledge of and experience with firewalls and network security implementation, configuration, and management, including Cisco ASA and Palo Alto Networks Experience.
* Comprehensive knowledge of common networking protocols (e.g. IP, UDP, TCP, STP, BGP, OSPF, MPLS, Multicast, SNMP, etc.).
* Broad experience using network management tools such as Solarwinds Orion, NetMRI, etc.
* Proficient experience with configuration management frameworks such as Ansible, Salt, Chef, Puppet.
* Effective organizational and attention to detail skills, with the ability to multi-task effectively.
* Proficient interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills with the ability to work independently and interact with a multi-disciplinary staff in a team environment.
* Ability to work outside normal business hours in order to provide support for network security.
In Addition at the SES.3 Level
* Significant experience troubleshooting network capacity/performance problems and provide advanced architecture solutions.
* Significant experience solving problems by analyzing protocol interactions collected in packet traces, and working independently to resolve problems, develop original solutions, and configure network monitoring tools and network management tools.
* Highly advanced troubleshooting skills.
* Two or more vendor specialized certifications such as Cisco, Palo Alto Network, Splunk, F5, etc.
Pre-Employment Drug Test: External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Security Clearance: This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance.
If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted.
Note: This is a Career Indefinite position. Lab employees and external candidates may be considered for this position.
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL), located in the San Francisco Bay Area (East Bay), is a premier applied science laboratory that is part of the National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) within the Department of Energy (DOE). LLNL's mission is strengthening national security by developing and applying cutting-edge science, technology, and engineering that respond with vision, quality, integrity, and technical excellence to scientific issues of national importance. The Laboratory has a current annual budget of about $2.1 billion, employing approximately 6,800 employees.
LLNL is an affirmative action/ equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.