Network Engineer (Juniper Security expert)
Position: Network Engineer (Juniper Security expert)
Location: Gaithersburg, MD
Duration: 3 Months
No. of positions: 3 positions
Experience: 7 to 10 Years is a must
MUST have a "Secret" clearance in place in order to apply
* Products to support: MX Series routers, SRX (both HE and Branch) and EX switches, JUNOS Space, Network Activate, Security Director, Network Director and JUNOS Security Analysis (STRM).
* Understand concepts and guidelines behind traditional routing or security system design (rqmnt dependent). Will be asked to provide internal/external guidance on key customer security issues
* To hold design and information gathering workshops with the Customer to understand the Customer's existing network design and technical requirements of new network designs.
* To understand the Customer's organizational structure and become familiar with the Customer's network implementation and support processes and procedures to help in designing a network that is available and sustainable.
* To carry out testing of new Designs, features, and functionality as required by the Customer in a laboratory environment and to help develop plans to implement and verify that they are operating correctly in the live network
* To test patches and fixes to operating software and to ensure that they are implemented and functioning correctly in the pre-production test network and then live network as implementation plans dictate.
* To troubleshoot equipment and network problems and to open and track JTAC cases through to problem resolution on pre and post production issues.
* To raise equipment Return Material Authorizations (RMA's) and to track these through to problem resolution
* To produce a written summary report of the status of Design projects, equipment and network problems on a regular basis to the Customer
* To hold technology workshops with the Customer to discuss equipment and network problems, and to provide case status updates, including the reasons for any problems encountered and the workarounds and/or solutions that are being tried
* To train the Customer's design, implementation and support personnel to configure and operate the Juniper Networks products
* To assist the Customer to develop Network Operating and Equipment Operating Procedures
* Support design and planning of Juniper networks products within the Customer infrastructure
* Support ongoing efforts in defining best practice policies for Juniper product applications used by Customer
* The Resident Consultant is expected to peer with other employees performing similar resident engineering roles where lessons learned may help minimize risk associated with major network upgrades or changes in the network.
* The RC will be expected to develop secondary skills in other products in the Juniper product portfolio.
* Candidates for this role MUST have a minimum of 7 years experience providing implementation and technical support of networking products in LAN, WAN, or Internet services environments. Candidates for this role must also have a minimum of 3 years experience designing IP networks.
* Candidates for this role MUST be able to demonstrate the following competencies:
* Detailed technical experience in the installation and operation of IP routers. This includes hands-on operation of management tools and network analyzers.
* A detailed understanding of the protocols surrounding IP service provider networks. These skills should include:
* TCP/IP fundamentals
* IP sub netting and super netting and hierarchical routing principles
* Routing protocol (OSPF, IS-IS, and BGP-4) operation, migration, and scaling mechanisms
* Routing policies at BGP peering points
* VPNs and the associated tunneling technologies (L2TP, MPLS, etc.),Switching technologies and firewall technologies as determined by customer requirements
* Strong Interpersonal skills.
* The ability to function in a team environment.
* Hands-on configuration and operational knowledge of Juniper Networks Products.
* Demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects and work calmly under pressure.
The ideal candidate for this role will be able to demonstrate the following competencies:
* 7+ years experience in managing large technical account activity revolving around network products from multiple vendors.
* Department of Defense's Security Technical Implementation Guidelines (STIG), Common Criteria, and FIPS.
* JNCIA, JNCIS, JNCIP, JNCIE, CCNP, CCIE a strong plus
* The ideal candidate will have prior experience with scripting or programming languages including Python, SLAX, and NETCONF, and experience with automation frameworks such as Puppet, Chef, Ansible, or others.
* Understanding of the concepts and guidelines behind traditional routing or security system design (depending on requirements). Will be asked to provide internal and external guidance on key customer security issues.
* Detailed understanding of Routing protocols surrounding IP Service Provider and/or Enterprise networks including: TCP/IP fundamentals, IP sub-netting and super-netting and hierarchical routing principles, Routing protocol operation (OSPF, ISIS, BGP-4), strong understanding of MPLS L2 and L3 VPNs and the associated tunneling technologies (GRE, IPsec, etc.), network/router security and common/best practices.
* Strong understanding of: DNS, NFS, VoIP, VPLS, TCP/IP, IGMP, and ARP
* Basic understanding of Layer 2 protocols and technologies including: Ethernet, SONET, PPP, PPPoE, and DSL,
* Products to support: MX Series routers, SRX (both HE and Branch) and EX switches, JUNOS Space, Network Activate, Security Director, Network Director and JUNOS Security Analysis (STRM)