The Information Services Department seeks two qualified Network Engineer - IS Communication Specialist II. The Network Engineers will assist with implementing multiple infrastructure upgrade project scheduled for the next two years. These projects include WiFi Deployment, Network Switch Replacement, and Firewall Replacement project.
These positions are responsible for design, configuration, maintenance, and fault isolation of the County enterprise network including: network security, routing, switching, wireless LAN, WAN, VOIP, Virtual Private Networking, testing, and repairing network infrastructure. This individual may exercise technical and functional direction over lower-level staff and may also provide training on a project basis.
The ideal candidates for these positions will have proficiency and experience with:
* Management of L2 and L3 technologies and security including adjacency/convergence protocols and techniques (EIGRP, OSPF, BGP).
* IP traffic redistribution and route filtering.
* VPN setup and troubleshooting including IPSec and FlexVPN.
* Application of ACL's.
* Aruba Wireless managed environment including Clearpass and Airwave.
* Configuring and building an industry standard network monitoring and alert system (SolarWinds is desirable).
The ideal candidates will also have knowledge of:
* HP Comware switching environment.
* Cisco switching and routing experience.
* Aruba Wireless managed environment.
* Firewalls including Cisco ASA, Palo Alto, or both.
* F5, or competing/compatible load balancing technologies.
* Network Security design.
* UPS connectivity & installation.
* Cloud datacenter support experience.
These positions will require the individual to participate in an on-call capacity after working hours.
The current vacancies are limited term, at-will positions. Limited Term Employees are assigned to assignments not to exceed three years. They receive medical and dental benefits, similar to regular employees, and a defined contribution retirement plan. The eligible list generated from this recruitment may be used to fill future extra-help, term, unclassified, and regular classified vacancies.
INFORMATION FOR CURRENT COUNTY EMPLOYEES
Current and regular County of San Mateo Employees who are interested in this assignment must submit the required documents listed on this job announcement and compete in the recruitment process. If you are successful in the recruitment and are being considered for the assignment, HR will work directly with you and/or your department for options. Please note that there is no guarantee that you will be allowed by your department to rotate into this assignment nor are your departments obligated to allow you to take on this assignment. The salary range for this position is "as is" and non-negotiable. Examples Of Duties
Duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
* Defines, assists in design, and implements system infrastructure and solutions.
* Evaluates and effectively responds to requests for assistance from users experiencing problems with telecommunications, radio, and network systems in person, over the phone, or remotely; diagnoses system hardware, software, and operational problems; trains users on software and hardware usage by providing instruction and documentation in person, on the phone, or electronically.
* Implements new systems, programs, and hardware and software upgrades.
* Implements, maintains, and enforces policies and procedures for telecommunications, communications, and network administration.
* Responds to inquiries from other departmental staff and documents and communicates problem resolutions.
* Confers with vendor representatives to identify and correct causes of hardware and software malfunctions and to perform enhancements.
* Maintains hardware and software inventory; verifies stock and supplies for replacement parts; picks up parts from vendors; repairs and refurbishes equipment and peripherals from available parts.
* Researches and provides recommendations or with approval, purchases tools, supplies, and repair parts from a variety of sources.
* Writes and maintains user and technical operating instructions and documentation; provides training to users and other technical staff and advises on best practices.
* Assists in coordinating activities with other information services department staff.
* May serve as technical lead for assigned projects, including gathering user and systems requirements, working with vendors, contractors, project managers, and other project staff, installing, configuring, testing, and providing general technical support, and developing technical and user documentation.
* Provides updates, status, and completion information to staff and/or users via voicemail, email, or in-person communication.
* Installs, configures, and maintains systems.
* Monitors and evaluates overall system performance.
* Performs related duties as assigned.
Management reserves the rights to add, modify, change, or rescind the work assignments of different positions and to make reasonable accommodations so that qualified employees can perform the functions of the job. Qualifications
* Advanced system infrastructure configuration methods and techniques.
* Techniques and methods of system evaluation, implementation, and documentation.
* Troubleshooting, configuration, and installation techniques.
* Principles and practices for identifying systems-related issues and actions needed to improve or correct performance.
* The organization, operation, and functions of the department as necessary to assume assigned responsibilities and to determine appropriate point of escalation.
* Applicable Federal, State, and local laws, regulatory codes, ordinances, and procedures relevant to assigned area of responsibility.
* Techniques for providing a high level of customer service by effectively dealing with vendors and County staff.
* Perform a variety of technical support functions in the installation, configuration, maintenance, and repair of assigned systems; take appropriate action to resolve problems or escalate to appropriate staff as needed.
* Identify, maintain, and repair hardware and software problems.
* Interpret, apply, explain, and ensure compliance with Federal, State, and local policies, procedures, laws, rules, and regulations.
* Establish and maintain a variety of filing, record keeping, and tracking systems.
* Organize own work, set priorities, and meet critical time deadlines.
* Use tact, initiative, prudence, and independent judgment within general policy, procedural, and legal guidelines.
* Establish, maintain, and foster positive and effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
* Use English effectively to communicate in person, over the telephone, and in writing.
Education and Experience:
Any combination of training and experience that would provide the required knowledge, skills, and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to obtain the required qualifications would be:
* Completion of coursework and/or training in information systems, computer science, or related field, and
* Two (2) years of increasingly responsible experience in providing technical support in the installation, maintenance, and repair of systems specific to radio communications, telecommunications, or network (preferably with wide and local area networks including enterprise level Data Center supports)
* Must have a valid California Class C driver's license
Licenses and Certifications:
* Some positions may require possession of, or ability to obtain, industry-recognized information technology certifications.
Must possess mobility to work in a standard office setting and use standard office equipment, including a computer; to operate a motor vehicle and to visit various County sites; vision to read printed materials and a computer screen; and hearing and speech to communicate in person and over the telephone. Standing in and walking between work areas is frequently required. Finger dexterity is needed to access, enter, and retrieve data using a computer keyboard or calculator and to operate standard office equipment. Positions in this classification frequently bend, stoop, kneel, and reach to perform assigned duties, as well as push and pull drawers open and closed to retrieve and file information. Employees must possess the ability to lift and carry materials and objects up to 50 pounds with the use of proper equipment and push and pull materials and objects up to 100 pounds with the use of proper equipment.
Employees work in an office environment with moderate levels, controlled temperature conditions, and no direct exposure to hazardous physical substances. Employees may interact with upset staff when providing telecommunications, communications, and network equipment and systems support. Application/Examination
Anyone may apply. Responses to the supplemental questions are required and must be submitted in addition to the Standard County of San Mateo employment application. A resume or reference to a resume will not be accepted as a substitute for your responses to these questions.
IMPORTANT: Applications for this position will only be accepted online. If you are currently on the County's website, you may click the "Apply" button. If you are not on the County's website, please go to https://jobs.smcgov.org to apply.
Apply immediately. This recruitment is open on a continuous basis and selections may be made at any time within the process. The County of San Mateo Information Services Department will screen applications as they are received and will directly contact qualified applicants for further consideration.
~TENTATIVE RECRUITMENT SCHEDULE~
Final Filing Date: Continuous
Departmental Interviews: On An Ongoing Basis
At the County of San Mateo, we take pride in the way our employees bring together their diverse backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives to serve our community's needs. The County is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
HR Analyst: Lucy Fung (032619) (IS Communication Specialist II - V281)