Massachusetts Department of Public Health
The Massachusetts Executive Office of Health and Human Services (EOHHS) is the largest secretariat in MA state government, comprised of 16 agencies with over 20,000 employees statewide. EOHHS services directly touch the lives of slightly more than 1 in 4 residents in the Commonwealth - some of our most vulnerable children, youth, adults, and elders. EOHHS provides access to medical and behavioral health care, substance misuse treatment, long term services and support, and nutritional and financial benefits to those with low incomes. We connect elders, individuals with disabilities, and veterans with employment opportunities, housing, and supportive services. We steer troubled youth towards a more successful path and do everything possible to keep children in our child welfare system safe. We support individuals who are developmentally disabled, mentally ill, blind, deaf or hard of hearing.
EOHHS-IT is seeking to hire a Network Engineer to join the EOHHS Enterprise Engineering team under the supervision of the EOHHS Enterprise Engineering Supervisor. The Network Engineer will be mainly responsible in working to increase customer/user satisfaction as it relates to IT network infrastructure and maintains the health and integrity of the enterprise network. The incumbent will provide subject matter expertise for strategic IT infrastructure planning to EOHHS IT management and enforce IT network infrastructure policies & procedures. In addition, the incumbent will be responsible in performing tasks associated with change management, quality assurance, performance monitoring, capacity planning, systems engineering, and project management. The network engineer will also be resolving technical problems associated general voice over IP issues, Cisco switches and routers, Provider circuits and station cabling. The Network Engineer will be responsible in providing after-hour support and project support when needed.
* Updates and provides timely resolution of assigned CA Unicenter incidents, requests and change orders in compliance with Service Level Agreements (SLAs)
* Troubleshoots and resolves Cisco VOIP switch and router issues as required.
* Analyzes network traffic and provides capacity planning recommendations such as circuit upgrades or in support of projects, such as the file share migrations to EOHHS internal Cloud.
* Works in collaboration with EOHHS Incident and Problem Management teams to resolve service affecting outages or prolonged latency issues adversely affecting agency application performance.
* Submits switch port modification requests on behalf of the EOHHS IT teams, such as VLAN assignment changes, port resets, configuring EtherChannel ports, etc. Verifies request is completed and notifies the EOHHS IT point of contact(s).
* Monitors the APC UPS fleet that supports the managed VoIP equipment across EOHHS. Responsibilities include review and resolution of network alarms, configuring APC network monitoring cards, contacting vendor support for equipment failures, coordinating maintenance windows, aiding EOHHS IT teams with installation and return of defective equipment for proper recycling.
* Works collaboratively with internal and external IT groups in a team environment to improve overall customer service support to EOHHS agencies.
* Audits vendor related work that pertains to site acceptance of circuit upgrades, agency move projects or network equipment upgrades. This includes the review of vendor network drawings, confirming access to managed VoIP equipment, inventory verification of managed VoIP equipment on the vendors portal and site acceptance approval or rejection notification to Supervisor.
* Participates in EOHHS IT on-call rotation for after hours and weekend support of 24x7 critical care sites. Required to carry work cell phone and may be called upon to assist with service-affecting outages and if needed, dispatched to resolve break/fix scenarios of network equipment such as switches, routers or UPSs.
* Works in collaboration with EOHHS Facilities/DCAMM to provide MDF/IDF room designs, drawings and technical specifications for new EHS Centers, sites and/or phased renovation projects.
* Attends off-site construction meetings with EOHHS Facilities and DCAMM to ensure engineering tasks are being delivered within project timeframe. Assists with project management activities around new facility/build-outs, adds-moves and changes.
* Supports agency site moves with EOHHS IT teams. Tasks may include installation or removal of VoIP equipment and UPSs, patching cables in MDF/IDF rooms, testing network connectivity and assistance with troubleshooting as needed.
* Determines infrastructure work required for cabling requests and projects. May include electrical and environmental (HVAC). Requests quote from COMMBUYS vendors, reviews scope of work, chooses vendor and submits Expenditure Request Forms (ERFs) for budget approval. Coordinates vendor access with EOHHS IT teams and notifies Supervisor when work is completed.
* Coordinates site surveys with vendors and EOHHS IT teams.
* Updates job knowledge and skill sets by participating in education, training opportunities and remaining current with the latest technology trends.
* Mentors team members to transfer skills as well as staff in other EOHHS IT teams.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
* Minimum 5 years of experience designing, installing and supporting complex networks.
* Understanding of TCP/IP, dynamic routing, EIGRP, BGP, MPLS, HSRP, HA configurations, VoIP, L2/3 switching, routers, switches and other related technologies.
* Ability to quickly grasp new concepts and technologies.
* Work in a team environment as well as independently on certain projects.
* Ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks while under pressure.
* Strong familiarity with Visio and AutoCAD LT.
* Experience with enterprise network management tools and Solarwinds monitoring software.
Education and Certifications:
* Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, Business Administration or other related field, or equivalent work experience.
* Cisco certification is preferred, but not required.
As an employee of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts you are offered a great career opportunity influencing a wide-spectrum of services to the diverse populations we serve - but it's more than a paycheck. The State's total compensation package features an outstanding set of employee benefits which you should consider towards your overall compensation, including:
* 75% state paid medical insurance premium
* Reasonable Dental and Vision Plans
* Flexible Spending Account and Dependent Care Assistance programs
* Low cost basic and optional life insurance
* Retirement Savings: State Employees' Pension and a Deferred Compensation 457(b) plan
* 11 paid holidays per year and competitive Sick, Vacation and Personal Time
* Tuition Benefit for employee and spouse at state colleges and universities
* Long-Term Disability and Extended Illness program participation options
* Incentive-based Wellness Programs
* Professional Development and Continuing Education opportunities
* Qualified Employer for Public Service Student Loan Forgiveness Program
A criminal background check will be completed on the recommended candidate as required by the regulations set forth by the Executive Office of Health and Human Services prior to the candidate being hired. For more information, please visit http://www.mass.gov/hhs/cori and click on "Information for Job Applicants."
Education, licensure and certifications will be verified in accordance with the Human Resources Division's Hiring Guidelines
Education and license/certification information provided by the selected candidate(s) is subject to the Massachusetts Public Records Law and may be published on the Commonwealth's website.
First consideration will be given to those applicants that apply within the first 14 days.
Please see Preferred Qualifications.
An Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer. Females, minorities, veterans, and persons with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.
About Massachusetts Department of Public Health
Massachusetts Department of Public Health promotes the health and well-being of residents by ensuring access to public health and healthcare service.