Now in its second century, Audubon is dedicated to protecting birds and other wildlife and the habitat that supports them. Audubon's mission is engaging people in bird conservation on a hemispheric scale through science, policy, education and on-the-ground conservation action. By mobilizing and aligning its network of Chapters, Centers, State and Important Bird Area programs in the four major migratory flyways in the Americas, the organization will bring the full power of Audubon to bear on protecting common and threatened bird species and the critical habitat they need to survive. And as part of BirdLife International, Audubon will join people in over 100 in-country organizations all working to protect a network of Important Bird Areas around the world, leveraging the impact of actions they take at a local level. What defines Audubon's unique value is a powerful grassroots network of nearly 500 local chapters, 23 state offices, 41 Audubon Centers, Important Bird Area Programs in 50 states, and 700 staff across the country. Audubon is a federal contractor and an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE).
Audubon is seeking a Mobile Engineer to lead development efforts of the Audubon Bird Guide, our React Native mobile application. The Mobile Engineer will report to and work closely with the VP of Digital Products, and collaborate with our existing contract engineering and product design staff to develop new features, optimize existing functionality, and continuously improve the user experience of one of the most popular Android and iOS bird guide apps on the market.
* Closely collaborate with internal and external teams to implement new features, optimize existing functionality, fix bugs, and improve the user experience;
* Oversee the work of external engineering teams, and collaborate with the VP of Digital Products on overall product ownership and roadmap, ensuring the product helps drive organizational goals;
* Maintain efficient production workflows, overseeing and improving our CI and testing infrastructure;
* Oversee a regular, organized release schedule;
* Take a hands-on approach to analytics data and quantitative/qualitative feedback from users, and work to adapt functionality and UX based on user behavior.
Qualifications and Experience
* 4+ years of professional software development experience;
* 1+ years of professional React Native experience, with actively maintained knowledge of the evolving React Native ecosystem and workflows;
* BA/BS in computer science preferred;
* Professional experience working with Google's Firebase cloud products;
* Previous experience developing React-based applications, as well as native iOS or Android applications a huge plus;
* Demonstrated fluency in modern mobile user experience, with attention to detail on the front-end;
* Fluency with Jira and a mind for iterating software in an organized fashion. We are not devoted to any particular methodology;
* This position is based in New York, NY. Must be within commuting distance of Audubon's Manhattan headquarters.