-How can you maintain shared situational awareness across a distributed, partially networked set of platforms in the presence of active communications jamming?
* Old-school radar operators fault automated tracking and state estimation because it is a deterministic process - it does not learn patterns that a human finds easily. How can we correct that by adding learning to our state estimation and tracking algorithms?
* Multi-Hypothesis Tracking (MHT) has been the standard for multi-target, multi-sensor fusion for decades. Recently, graph-based approaches have become popular. Can Random Finite Sets (RFS) improve the computational and functional performance over both?
* Social media by itself represents a massive amount of information. Can we combine it with traditional data sources like SIGINT and MASINT to do even more?
These are actual problems that the scientists and researchers in Distributed Estimation, Fusion, and Integration (DEFI) are working to solve every day.
As a Technology Development Manager (TDM) in DEFI, you will work with the director to shape, capture, and lead new programs across our tracking and fusion portfolio. Our typical project duration is 1-3 years, which helps keep the research new and interesting, but the projects don't just die when the initial program ends. DEFI is part of BAE Systems FAST Labs, which acts as the research and development core of Electronic Systems' five other business areas. Once we finish the research, we work to transition our programs to those business areas. Our tracking, fusion, and analytic algorithms go to the Command, Control, Communications, and Computers Intelligence, Surveillance, and Recognizance Systems (C4ISR) business area to improve their products that are used by military and intelligence analysts every day. Or they may go to the Electronic Combat Solutions (ECS) business area to add capability to their electronic warfare systems installed on aircraft like the F-35 or B-2. By sitting at the heart of BAE Systems' R&D organization, our research has a direct path through the greater company to enhance the capabilities of American soldiers.
The two primary responsibilities of the TDM are to develop and capture new business opportunities and to lead the execution of our programs
* Provide leadership oversight and active engagement in the development and pursuit of business opportunities. Maintain awareness of the company's competitive position and identifies potential new products or business and pursues them with support from company leadership
* Lead technical proposals
* Plans critical long-range technological requirements
* Independently identifies and solves significant problems associated with the success of current and critical long-range objectives
* Serves in a leadership role on highly complex research or system engineering efforts as a program manager, project lead or technical lead
* Works across a broad range of disciplines to structure undefined programs, identify key technical issues and define alternative approaches and resolutions
* Applies and develops advanced technologies, principles, theories, and concepts; maintains liaison with customer or contractor representatives to manage, review, monitor, and evaluate alignment with customer's objective and contractual requirements.
About BAE Systems
BAE Systems is a global company engaged in the design, development, manufacturing, and support of defense and aerospace systems.